Esteemed Contributor

Just can't deal with the cooked, but raw broccoli and Brussel spouts are wonderful.  Pack a bag for snacks.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I LOVE broccoli, but my system just can't tolerate it anymore. At least not right now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Researchers at Johns Hopkins reported today that early results show the phytochemical sulforaphane, found in broccoli, cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts, reduced Covid-19 replication by 50% in mice.

Interesting. No mention of how many cabbages you have to eat per day.

source: Deseret News

What they failed to mention is that after eating all that broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc......nobody will want to get that close to you to give you Covid. Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I buy fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix from Pero Farms. This steams right in its bag. So easy. I eat it three times a week.

Note: If you have thyroid disease, you should use caution with eating this because of the goitrogens.

@Mindy D  I thought this was true if eaten raw?

Super Contributor

So glad I found this thread today. Smiley Happy  I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time!  I needed a good laugh today.  It's great therapy!  

Esteemed Contributor

I just love broccoli, both cooked and raw in salads.  Doesn't give me gas - what does is coffee.  Go figure!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

Just don't eat it raw. Years ago I used to go to a dr who was a thyroid book author and he told me just cook it.  I haven't had any problems.

Honored Contributor

I love the Broccoli salad that our Jewel store deli sells.  There are raisins and cranberries, carrots, cabbage, broccoli and tiny nut seeds.  It is so good.  I also cooked up Brussel Sprouts the other day and eating them.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Eat Your Broccoli

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 

Broccoli mentioned in the original post is off-limits, other than in limited amounts, for people on the blood-thinner Coumadin or its generic versions. 

Broccoli, brussels sprouts, deep-green veggies such as kale and spinach are among those high in Vitamin K--too much for people taking Coumadin for prevention of blood clots or strokes.

My husband has been on that drug for many years since  a blood clot moved to his lung and caused near-death from a pulmonary embolism.

He must check his blood every week, adjust dosage as directed by his medical advisors, and  it gets out of line if he eats too much of the cautionary vegetables. I seldom prepare them but always put a small amount on his plate when I do.

I'd eat many of them all the time, except for that darn drug that he's taking.

Honored Contributor

I love the small roasted Brussels sprouts!