Contributor

Re: Early Morning Bathroom Trips

@I am still oxox wrote:

@gizmogal 

You really did read it incorrectly, opps Smiley Happy

@gizmogal wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@gizmogal 

OP means that she goes every 30 minutes after she gets up, not that it takes her 30 minutes to go.

Oops. I guess I read that post wrong!  My bad! Meant no insult...

I read it wrong  as well. Hope you find a good answer @I am still oxox -- you need your sleep.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best suggestion would be to ask your doctor.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I pee every two hours during the night. My last sip of water is at 6p. I just live with it.Woman Frustrated

Same here. I go very rarely during the day but I'm up sometimes 3 or 4 times per night. Been that way for years. My PCP and my urologist know about this and don't seem worried.

Honored Contributor

I am thinking along the lines of your bladder not emptying completely each time you go, and any amount of urine in there is giving you the feeling you always need to go.   

One of my daughters went thru this at age 5; she had to work on retraining her brain and changing her routine.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I pee every two hours during the night. My last sip of water is at 6p. I just live with it.Woman Frustrated

Same here. I go very rarely during the day but I'm up sometimes 3 or 4 times per night. Been that way for years. My PCP and my urologist know about this and don't seem worried.

I have struggled with this for yrs.  I had some awful test at a urologist...had to drink 32oz's of water....hold it for 1hr (not possible for me) and sit on this toilet with a monitor in the private area and finally then I could release the fluid.  Well I thought I had emptied but when she looked at my bladder with ultra sound it had alot more in there.  Then I felt the need to go again...had to repeat this process over again same day appt but still it burned so bad that second time. No answers wanted me to come back and do another test with some probe the doc puts up there that could have side effects of loosing control of your bladder/leaking.  I said NO to that one and never went back.

I have been doing better most nights since I changed my diet recently.  A few months ago I went very low carb....and no processed foods or sugar.  And like you ladies I can stop drinking liquids at 4pm and I would still get up 4 to 5 times per night.  

I have no serious health issues and on paper my labs are outstanding...they were just perfect...heck even better on the low carb then before!  In the last few weeks I most now sleep and get up at 2:30am to go and then I am up around 5:30/6am on average as the sun is up so I think it wakes me abit earlier now.  This is a huge improvement.

But then something happens...like last night...I was up 3 times to go...like old times.  I pray it was a fluke and I go back to 1 time per night as that is WAY less disruptive to my sleep.  No wonder I am so tired all the time getting up to go.

As for the OP it sounds like you sleep good at night....as we age sleeping 10, 12, 14hrs straight like a teen isn't a reality from all I have read.  Those days for me have been long gone.  If I could get from 11pm to 6am I would be so happy!  

Honored Contributor

I am the OP and there does not seem to be a pattern in the whole thing.

Last night I went to bed at 10, up twice to empty my bladder and up at 7 today and was able to doze between the potty runs

Thing is I drank water last night with dinner not our usual decaf iced tea, we were out and it was hot and I probably drank more than normal.

I wonder if the decaf iced tea a factor here.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 

"The goal is to get your bladder to hold more fluid"? 

The only way I have found to get 32oz. of fluid into a 2 cup measuring cup, is to increase the size of the cup to 1 quart. I am very familiar with the Kegel Exercises, but have had little success with this lessening my bladder size, or issues.

I have had, I believe, every Urological Tests for males that exist. All the diagnosis say the same thing: "you have a small bladder". That said, exactly how does one go about increasing their bladder size?

Now I know how to increase muscle size and the dangers that go along with an increased heart size, and increased liver size. None of my 3 Urologists ever mentioned how I could go about increasing my bladder size.

If there is a secret out there I would really appreciate knowing what it might be.

john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am thinking along the lines of your bladder not emptying completely each time you go, and any amount of urine in there is giving you the feeling you always need to go.   

@RedTop 

I went through what is called Urodynamics Testing. It measures about every function of the bladder by inserting a catheter that sends readings to a computer. They fill your bladder until you tell them you cannot hold it any longer. Then the time to empty it is measured, not once, but several times. 

This tells them several things, including your bladder size, and also if it is completely emptied. There were several other measured tests using similar methods and timings. It concluded with my Urologist performing a Cystoscopy. Not enjoyable and had bleeding for days after. Same results, I have a small bladder, which holds it capacity.

john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

If so why is it only in the early morning hours not at 2PM in the afternoon

I had an ultra sound at the urologist and my bladder was fully emptied

@RedTop wrote:

One of my daughters went thru this at age 5; she had to work on retraining her brain and changing her routine.   

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Hi @hckynut ,

I know and understand...

None of this is any kind of fun to deal with regarding bladder issues for any of us, whether we're male or female.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and I'm so very sorry that you've been through those miserable bladder tests, too.

When you have urgency and frequency issues and there isn't any sign of infection and you're going to the bathroom every 20 minutes or even less--maybe it's 10 minutes for example--you want to see if you can try and extend your visits if possible, by a few minutes at a time so that you can build up your tolerance so that in time, you're not having to go so often.

I too have a small bladder, so I know what that's like so my heart goes out to you too, for all that you have been through. Heart Smiley Sad