Trusted Contributor

Re: Early Morning Bathroom Trips

I think I'd be more concerned over whatever form

of elimination requires 30 minutes to complete rather than what time of day it occurs.  Even with a magazine or my iPad to "help" things move along I've never needed a half hour. OK, admittedly that's my body and other peoples' functions take more or less time. 

But the OP seems to refer to her bladder requiring emptying in the early hours after a night's sleep. That is a gigantic bladder that takes 7-8 hours to fill while sleeping and needing 30 minutes to empty!  Bragging or complaining, I wonder?  

The best place for medical advice is a doctor's office. No matter how many people experience the same symptoms, bodies are unique. Doctors treat the individual body. Shopping forums are not ideal for medical consultation. But it's a revelation to read these comments about people's personal bathroom habits and the various sleeping--peeing intervals! 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

You can last until 5:30 in the morning????     Holy cow......I think THAT is a track record (!!)

I would be over the moon if i didn't have to get up until 5:30 , i am up 3 times , but i do drink water through out the evening hours , so i shouldn't complain.

Honored Contributor

If I EVER slept 7 1/2 hours straight, I'd call CNN and ask them to interrupt regular programming for a breaking news alert. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Sleep is important for healing.  Resting throughout the day counts.  You don't need to sleep 20 hours to heal.  

Mental anguish and anxiety are more harmful than getting up to go the washroom, IMO 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, going to bed at 9 pm?  Does she work?  Or just like to go to sleep “with the chickens”?  You will forgive me, I am retired.  Now I can be a night owl.  I won’t bore anyone with me potty routine.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I pee every two hours during the night. My last sip of water is at 6p. I just live with it.Woman Frustrated

I had to check to make sure I didn't write this.  I feel your pain.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

OP means that she goes every 30 minutes after she gets up, not that it takes her 30 minutes to go.

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gizmogal 

OP means that she goes every 30 minutes after she gets up, not that it takes her 30 minutes to go.

Oops. I guess I read that post wrong!  My bad! Meant no insult...

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal 

You really did read it incorrectly, opps Smiley Happy

@gizmogal wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@gizmogal 

Oops. I guess I read that post wrong!  My bad! Meant no insult...

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am asleep by 10 most nights and my bladder wakes me at 5 30 and thats usually it I am in the bathroom ever 30 minutes, I do not drink a lot with dinner and nothing after, I am loosing sleep and this is so tiring.

SUggestions welcome

I'm so sorry about this, my dear. Smiley Sad Heart

If I were you, I would still try and follow-up on this with your doctor.

I had an allergic reaction to one of the more common bladder medications which made taking them more difficult for me, so I now take a different medication which helps my bladder but is actually made for colon irritation issues.

There is also an antihistimine that is used to help bladder issues as well.

When my bladder issues were bad, I had to do bladder training exercises to learn how to retrain my bladder so that I could extend my trips between times of using the bathroom.

The goal is to get your bladder to hold more fluid.

You work with your doctor's office on this situation.

Like you, I would be going to the bathroom about every 20 minutes during the day, but also at night too when things were at their worst.

Things have improved for me now due to the helpful medication for my bladder, but I also have to take diuretics for another medical condition and they can be irritating to your bladder.

I mentioned this to my Urologist and he told me that I just had to deal with that irritation because I needed to take the diuretics.

I'm editing my post to add that you may already be aware of this, but certain foods and beverages can be irritating to the bladder.

It will be different for each of us, what may be irritating to us. 

When I eat or drink something that is irritating to me, it may manifest as either urgency and frequency, or in a burning-type of a pain.

Certain types of spicy foods can cause the burning, and drinking teas or eating foods or drinks that contain caffeine can cause the urgency and frequency for me.