Trusted Contributor

Has anyone tried ear candling? Pros or cons? What was your experience? TY

Honored Contributor

Re: Ear Candling anyone?

[ Edited ]

Mayo clinic says this is an unsafe practice and highly recommends that no one do it.Google ear candling and read all the negative reports on this practice from respected sites like Mayo.

Trusted Contributor

@deb5555: My sister used to do it for friends and family. They seemed to find some relief from whatever issue they had. I never had her do it to me. No one had any negative results and many would ask for her to do it again at some later date. She hasn't done it in years. 

I'm not necessarily recommending it just letting you know no one had any problems with it when my sis was doing it. Maybe it depends on who is doing it. 

Our mother would build up ear wax and that seemed to really help her.

Valued Contributor

My younger daughter has had it done.  She has terrible ear wax issues in one year.  It helps a lot.

She's only done it twice.  I don't think it's something that should be done often though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ear Candling anyone?

[ Edited ]

@deb5555  Ear candling was/is still being used.  Many doctors in my area have gone back to reccomending it rather than antiobiotics which can wreck your immune system if used too frequently.    Everyone now wants a pill or shot to fix things and don't want natural fixes.  From my own experiencce - I had the flu that turned into bronchitis and I always get ear infections even with colds that make me loose my voice.  This particular time I had many antibiotics among other things and this went on for 2 months with no relief.  In desperation I tried ear candling.  After doing both ears it was just instantanous and miraculous.  My voice immediately came back and my infection cleared up.  I have since used it when this happens and no need for any chemical meds ever anymore and I have stopped getting ear infections all together after years of at least getting one a year.  You do have to follow directions to get good results and the angle of the candle has to be precise.  Of course drug companies that give money to places like Mayo clinic will insist things like this are not safe and do not work since it could decrese their money making!!!  

Honored Contributor

Before I retired... I probably sold thousands of ear candles.... we sold them where I worked   as customers wanted them.   I could not believe the following for these!

Personally I think it is a hoax and they do nothing.  But, it seems that people who buy them and use them get some kind of relief from them or they would not use them???? 

I think it is buyer beware.... and they are just  a total waste of money.... but that is just my feelings on them. 

Respected Contributor

My Aunt had a health food store for years and she did it for me the first time. I have chronic sinusitis and allergies. It made a world of difference. So I started buying them and I use them several times a year. You shouldn't do it very often but they do work.

Esteemed Contributor

It's an old practice that's been around long before Mayo and Big Pharma.

My Naturopath has them but you need someone experienced in their use. I've never heard of any ill effects from the practice.

Honored Contributor

Yikes!! No way!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTU2HFquCQ&vl=en

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Here's what the NIH has to say about it:

"Ear candling appears to be popular and is heavily advertised with claims that could seem scientific to lay people. However, its claimed mechanism of action has not been verified, no positive clinical effect has been reliably recorded, and it is associated with considerable risk. No evidence suggests that ear candling is an effective treatment for any condition. On this basis, we believe it can do more harm than good and we recommend that GPs discourage its use."  - from pub# PMC2231549