Esteemed Contributor

Re: EYE DROPS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY?

Neither my husband nor I needed any drops. My ophthamalogist didn't prescribe after the fact drops; he put them in during the surgery; said there would be floaters for a day or two. There were some and they went away. What he does must be state of the art ( he's done thousands ).
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:
Neither my husband nor I needed any drops. My ophthamalogist didn't prescribe after the fact drops; he put them in during the surgery; said there would be floaters for a day or two. There were some and they went away. What he does must be state of the art ( he's done thousands ).

@patbz 

I wonder why most Ophthamalogists prescribe drops .... 

Anyone know why some MDs don't ?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   The drops are used after surgery to prevent infection and inflammation.  I have no idea why some doctors do not prescribe them.  I had to use drops before surgery as well.

i also had laser surgery a few months after cataract surgery to make an opening in the new plastic lens to let it more light.  I was not prescribed drops after that surgery.

I  was only 50 years old when I had my cataract surgery done ..only on my right eye.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@patbz

My doctor did a similar procedure without drops. 

Honored Contributor

Things are progressing uneventfully ... which is very good.

Based on how the left eye is healing ....  if the right eye responds the same way, I doubt I'll need any glasses at all!  Woman Happy

However .... the one thing no one warned me about ..... I have a few wrinkles I'd never noticed before .... I guess I've been looking at an "airbrushed" face for several years.   A little bit of a shock ... LOL 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg  @Carmie @patbz  @coffee drinker  @lgfan 

Question for anyone here .....   

I am sure I read somewhere in my instructions that I was supposed to use the drops for 7 days.  I am on day 6 and reviewing when I can stop, and can't find anything on this, not even on bottles. 

So, I called the MD's office and someone said oh, sure, just keep using them until they are gone ...  hey, either way is fine, but I don't know how I got the idea of "7 days".  Hmm.

Just curious .....   What were your instructions?  Use them up or stop after a certain amount of days?  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Mine were done almost 4 years ago and I can't remember, but a week sounds about right.  But your doctor should give you those instructions.  When the staff give you that type of advise, insist on EXACT instructions.  They're your eyes -- take care of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nuttmeg  @Carmie @patbz  @coffee drinker  @lgfan 

Question for anyone here .....   

I am sure I read somewhere in my instructions that I was supposed to use the drops for 7 days.  I am on day 6 and reviewing when I can stop, and can't find anything on this, not even on bottles. 

So, I called the MD's office and someone said oh, sure, just keep using them until they are gone ...  hey, either way is fine, but I don't know how I got the idea of "7 days".  Hmm.

Just curious .....   What were your instructions?  Use them up or stop after a certain amount of days?  

@Tinkrbl44 ,

My eye Dr did tell me to go ahead and use my drops until they were gone. He said it would be perfectly okay to do so.

Edited to add,  my instructions were for a number of days also, but when I saw him again, he told me to use them all up. 

Frequent Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I had cataracts in both eyes and had both done this past fall, weeks apart of of course.  I used the drops both times and they cost me very little. To my knowledge the drops were necessary and i didn't have a problem using them.  My vision is clear and while I resisted the surgery I am glad I did it.  

I can only add that the cost of the eye drops was very little and were bought at CVS, my regular pharmacy.  

I'm agreeing with⬆️ I'm with K-P and the Dr ordered the drops thru.their pharmacy.

The drops prevent infection whilethe eyes heals.

My co-pays is minimal.

Good Luck