Esteemed Contributor

Re: EYE DROPS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

It is nice to know you are doing fine. Enjoy your new view. 

The technique the doctor used didn't require eyedrops. He placed drops in a patients eye during surgery. 

I read the cost of the drops and  the correct application of drops is the reason that some surgeons don't use them any more. 

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Glad your surgery went well!  My husband and I had cataract surgery 2 years ago and have great vision ever since!

DH needed a specific eye drop after his surgery that cost a fortune! We have insurance and the cost was still unbelievable. 

We mentioned this to our opthalmologist and he gave DH the eyedrop @ no charge. 

You may want to say something to your doc since they get sample bottles from the drug reps. 

Enjoy your new and improved vision!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @If some of the drops are newer medications there may be no generic equivalent. Additionally, if your insurance company determines there is a cheaper medication that is as good as what is prescribed they will place the medication in a different tier in their formulary. Call your pharmacist and ask why he or she thinks the prices are what they are. 

Honored Contributor

I am only aware of the drops from family members cataract surgeries.   It is my understanding these first eye drops are extremely crucial to the initial healing process, and must be used as prescribed.   

My mothers first day with drops didn't go so well, so I reminded her to put the drops in the inside corner of her eye, and they will be distributed naturally as she blinks.   The process was better once she started doing it that way.   

Honored Contributor

My husband used to have a 90 day supply of his prescription filled at Walmart. It cost $30.00.

Our insurance agent recommended he switch to CVS to save money on prescriptions. CVS charged him $120.00.

My husband checked Good RX. He found the same drug with Good RX at a local grocery pharmacy. It was something like $13.00.

Maybe it will be worth it to shop around. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 The drops were prescribed for a reason.  You need them.  As for being taken by surprised, we just got a call from the pharmacy advising my husband's 4 prescriptions will cost us an excess of $4,000.  How's that for a surprise.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my mother had her cataract surgeries she was only prescribed two different eye drops.  One was an anti-flammatory eye drop and the other was an antibiotic eye drop.  Her Medicare insurance covered most of the cost and she only had to pay $5 for one of the eye drops and $29 for the other eye drops.  I remember she had to put one eye drop first in her eyes  and then wait twenty minutes before she could use the other eye drops

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker "The drops were prescribed for a reason.  You need them.  As for being taken by surprised, we just got a call from the pharmacy advising my husband's 4 prescriptions will cost us an excess of $4,000.  How's that for a surprise. "

Is this for a one time use or does he need the prescriptions on a monthly basis?  

Respected Contributor

@lgfan I should have stated these are a 3 months supply and have to be taken forever.  Yes, we do have Medicare and supplemental insurance, but it's still very costly.  Believe me, I'm not complaining.  I'm just happy my husband has the meds (for Parkinsons) and they do help so much. I could not see him without these meds.  

Honored Contributor

Second day and my eye has stopped itching.    

So CVS quoted me $140 with my pretty good insurance.  Walmart quoted me $113 .....  same generic drugs, same insurance .... go figure.

I've used eye drops practically all my life .  and it's really weird to put a drop in just one eye .....  Woman Frustrated