Honored Contributor

Re: EYE DROPS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY?

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  very glad to hear that your surgery went well! That's a crazy amount for the drops....but it might end up being worth it. Whatever you decide to do, hang in there! 

@Goldengate8361 @Tinkrbl44 You really need to use the drops, use them on schedule (doc should have given you a check off sheet) and do ALL of them scheduled.  Please don't skip on these. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   Please get and use the drops as directed.

My MIL got a really bad eye infection in one eye after cataract surgery.   It was awful.  She was then given different RX drops to fight the infection, but she has a phobia about putting drops in her eyes.

She ended up wasting the drops by dropping them onto her face instead of her eyes.  She would shut her eyes before the drops reached their mark.  I think she did the same thing with the initial drops she was supposed to use after surgery.

My daughter and I took turns taking her to the eye doctor a few times a week.  We even had to fight to get another prescription....the doctor didn't believe she was out of the drops he prescribed a few days before. This went on for at least a month.

The experience was disturbing.  Trust me.  Get the prescription filled and use the eye drops.  You don't want to take a chance with your eyes.

Honored Contributor

There are several places where you can use cards to get reduced amounts on all medicines.

The prices can vary.  It lists the amounts for all of the pharmacies.

Go here (click on it).  It explains the various free clubs you can get reduced rates.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-prescription-discount-cards-4801786

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY going to get the drops and use them.  It's just the shock .... I haven't paid anything for prescrips for almost 3 years and to get this quote out of nowhere .... from a different pharmacy ....  well, it took my breath away!   

I'm sure it will get it sorted out tomorrow.

Stay tuned.   Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

That's a crazy amount for those drops but they are necessary.  If you can't afford them ask your doctor is he can give them to you.  They often have medications available for people if you ask for them.  I had a nurse tell me two weeks ago.......... If you need something just ask because we have "means" to supply them.

Honored Contributor

My surgery center sold the drops to me. I believe it was around $60.00 in 2020. They told me they started doing so because the drops could be expensive from a pharmacy.
Honored Contributor

OP, Are you on Medicare? I'm assuming that this being the first of the year you are paying your deductible. And $134 for your sight? II really don't consider that earth shattering! t's worth it! 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I paid about $134 at CVS for the eye drops post cataract surgery in 2021.  My insurance is quite good, but it didn’t help with this one.  Since the surgery cost me nothing, I felt $134, or so, was a small price to pay.  And happily, when I had the second eye done, (both eyes a few months apart), I had enough drops left over of two of them that I didn’t have to buy all three meds again.  It is quite possible that a different pharmacy could save you a bit, but likely you will still be paying.  It is vital to follow doctor’s directions with these drops.  And by the way, I have wonderful results in both eyes, and I wish the same for you. 

Honored Contributor

My surgeries were separated by years, and I used drops for 2 weeks after each.   I do not remember the price but I do think one was somewhat more expensive than the other 2.

Respected Contributor

My surgeries were a few years ago but I do remember my doctor telling me the eye drops were expensive and I do seem to remember them costing me over $100 for very small bottles. She said I would need them for both eyes but I ended up only needing the initial bottles, there were enough drops for both. I was so scared about having eye surgery that I would've done anything they told me. I have private insurance and Medicare and that was my cost using both. Since the surgeries were covered, I thought it was a small price to pay for the miracle of seeing again, my post surgery sight was 20/20 and had been 340/320.