Honored Contributor

EYE DROPS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY?

Okay, I need feedback ..... 

I had my first cataract surgery today, and am recovering.  Seems to have gone well.   My after-care sheets included prescriptions for THREE different eye drops, but not to start using them until after tomorrow's doctor appointment. 

I dropped off the prescriptions at a local CVS pharmacy, NOT my usual Walmart pharmacy, and was shocked to learn the co-pays for these drops will total $134!    I've had this insurance for three years now, and my prescriptions have a $0 copay ...  this was a shock, so I have the order on hold.  I never have a copay!  

Since someone here said they bought drops but ended up not needing them, I have to ask ....  what's your experience with these mysterious eye drops?   If I end up not needing them,  I will not be a happy camper.

Can you give me some feedback?  I plan to check Walmart's prices immediately after my 9am MD appointment, but if anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear it.   This took me by surprise.

TIA !! 

Respected Contributor

Re: EYE DROPS AFTER CATARACT SURGERY?

I used drops two weeks before and two weeks after.  I don't  remember the cost.  Why don't  you ask your doctor tomorrow?  I don't know of anyone who didn't need the drops.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  very glad to hear that your surgery went well! That's a crazy amount for the drops....but it might end up being worth it. Whatever you decide to do, hang in there! 

Honored Contributor

DH was able to purchase the before/after drops at the doctor's office for a fraction of the price.  He opted to buy them there instead of the pharmacy.

Respected Contributor

I have to ask...since you went to a pharmacy that is new for you, did you give them all your insurance information?

Honored Contributor

I had cataracts in both eyes and had both done this past fall, weeks apart of of course.  I used the drops both times and they cost me very little. To my knowledge the drops were necessary and i didn't have a problem using them.  My vision is clear and while I resisted the surgery I am glad I did it.  

I can only add that the cost of the eye drops was very little and were bought at CVS, my regular pharmacy.  

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I have to ask...since you went to a pharmacy that is new for you, did you give them all your insurance information?

@Janey2 

Yes, and the prescription said generic acceptable.  Since the pharmacist said there was a copay for a deductible, I'm guessing this is a Tier 5 brand name, NOT a generic.

I plan to check with the MD tomorrow morning at my appt, and then check with my Walmart pharmacist, who always goes the extra mile.   When I know the prices of the generic, I'll take it from there.   

I'm just a little too tired to research it tonite, and hoped people here could share their opinions.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had cataract surgery last year and recall that I was warned that one of the medications might be expensive depending on my insurance plan.  All three of the meds were needed and I used all of them.  Check with your doctor, but I believe you need to use the drops regardless of the cost.  You might want to call Walmart and compare the cost just in case there is a difference.  

I used generic meds.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Mine was 7 years ago and also had 3 kinds of drops, don't recall the $$ info but I don't recall it being a big problem.

Its imperative that all drops be used on the schedule for proper healing. Hope it all works out.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   My 3 drops were free.  I am a retired FED employee.  I don't pay for nothing! 

I thought Medicare paid for everthing concerning cataracts.

If I were you, first thing in the a.m.  call your ins co & ask them what the deal is.  When it concerns $$$$ better to get info directly from the horses mouth than from a 2nd or 3rd party.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif