Honored Contributor

Re: EVER TAKE METHOTREXATE?

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I'd take Enbrel or Humira or Cosentyx rather than MTX. 

I used to sell a biologic in this class.  MTX works, but it has so many adverse events.  

I do not sell in this class anymore.  But, I will tell you from knowing the data, one of them needs MTX on board to prevent antibodies from developing.  Another one can be used more easily monotherapy in RA.  Talk to your Dr. about this.  They will know.

If antibodies form, it can render the drug less effective. 

@winamac1

While I respect your opinion, my experience does not concur.  We are all different, and react differently.

I was in the first clinical trial for Embrel.  Two days after the 2nd injection I developed Shingles which went through my right eye.  I was immediately admitted to the hospital, and put on IV antivirals, (within hours of first symptom, no delay in treatment) it cost me the loss of 30% of the sight in that eye.

Everything has risks, I think the best we can do is make our own informed choices, and stay very diligent with our routine testing.

For myself, I choose to avoid biologicals.

@Drythe

I didn't talk about your experiences.  I merely was stating that antibodies develop to some of these biologics. I know the data.    I'd avoid some biologics myself if possible.  

Of course it's risk/reward.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Hi @GraceLady

I very much appreciate your taking the article to your doctor.  I would love to find out if she has any information.

It seemed to be so hopeful (and without side effects, or at least minimal).  

I think so often many doctors prescribe medications almost cavalierly.  They are not the ones who have to worry about being more susceptible to infections or cancers after ingesting immune suppressants.

I applaud you for going on the elimination diet.  I know that can be difficult and, like you said, slow.  But worthwhile.

Thanks again for your post.  I look forward to hearing more and fingers crossed your doctor has some knowledge of that study.  I'll be checking with my doctor about the methlyfolate.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

After the first few weeks of feeing queazy and fatigued, those side effects began to wear off. Around the time that stopped I began feeling a lot of relief. 

My RA was very progressive and I had to go on a higher dose, and my MD switched me to weekly injections so the pills wouldn't tear up my stomach. I did those for years. I think MTX became a contributing factor to all the rheumatoid nodules I began getting, and the newer class of biologic I'm on was working well, so he weaned me off the MTX.

I never had any liver or other organ damage. It did start causing a blood issue - I think my red blood cells were too large or something. I had to take a prescription level folic acid, forget the name, 12 hours after the MTX.

I wish you well with everything. 

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach thank you for that article, fascinating! I hope their research comes to a cure. Unforunately it will be too late for me and many others. Big Pharma in the USA will fight it tooth and nail, I know that much.

@GraceLady I did a medically supervised elimination diet too, and had terrible headaches and joint pain until detoxed. I will never touch wheat and eggs again. I know sugar is bad too, but keep slipping with that. Wheat was so huge though I don't even want to be in the same room with bread.

Super Contributor

@PilatesLoverYou are right that we will probably never benefit from the research.  I am at a research hospital, so I do have the hope I would be able to get in on testing there if a chance ever came up.

I wish all patients sick enough to go on biologics or other serious medications for inflamatory diseases had to go on an elimination diet first.  It is a very hard thing to do, very hard, but can make the biggest difference.  I was the last person that wanted to change my diet, but I would never go back to the way I used to eat now.  I never want to feel that badly again.  I am so glad you found out what was making you sicker. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I used to sell a biologic in this class.  MTX works, but it has so many adverse events.  

I do not sell in this class anymore.  But, I will tell you from knowing the data, one of them needs MTX on board to prevent antibodies from developing.  Another one can be used more easily monotherapy in RA.  Talk to your Dr. about this.  They will know.

@winamac1

While I respect your opinion, my experience does not concur.  We are all different, and react differently.

I was in the first clinical trial for Embrel.  Two days after the 2nd injection I developed Shingles which went through my right eye.  I was immediately admitted to the hospital, and put on IV antivirals, (within hours of first symptom, no delay in treatment) it cost me the loss of 30% of the sight in that eye.

Everything has risks, I think the best we can do is make our own informed choices, and stay very diligent with our routine testing.

@Drythe

I didn't talk about your experiences.  I merely was stating that antibodies develop to some of these biologics. I know the data.    I'd avoid some biologics myself if possible.  

@winamac1

You spoke of Methotrexate and biologics based on your sales knowledge.

As the OP requested response from those who had taken the drug, I felt free to responded with my experiences.

I too know the adverse risks and data on both, but no matter.

finis

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@winamac1

@Drythe

@winamac1

You spoke of Methotrexate and biologics based on your sales knowledge.

As the OP requested response from those who had taken the drug, I felt free to responded with my experiences.

I too know the adverse risks and data on both, but no matter.

finis

@Drythe

Yes....your experience...an n of 1.

finis

By the way, in my original post I never said Enbrel did not have adverse events.  I merely stated, I'd not take MTX if at all possible.  No one ever stated, including myself, Enrel, Humira or Cosentyx don't have side effects.  

I was speaking of antibodies developing to some biologics.  I don't know how or why you got started on your side effects.

scratching my head.....Smiley Frustrated

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I took methotrexate for almost a year, then the blood tests showed rising liver enzymes.  I was switched to another pill.

Respected Contributor

In 2007, my mother was healthy and active and still running her own business. She was diagnosed with RA and prescribed Methotrexate..Within a month, she was dead of acute pancretitis..had never had any gall bladder problems or pancreatitis  EVER before- ,didnt smoke or drink and was practically a vegetarian... Her pancreas was so toxic,she developed septicemia.. the night she died, her tem[ was 108 in the hospital...from the time she phoned me with "a stomachache" and I took her to the ER  (because it was so bad she didnt think she could drive herself,) it was less than  36 hours before she was dead.....

We  all felt the methotrexate was to blame...

This is a very powerful drug..please be careful

Trusted Contributor

I was on Methotrexate for RA for some time but the pills started making me nauseous for days after taking them, and extreme hair thinning.  I had to go off the med but I do take an Enbrel injection once a week without any side effects.