Honored Contributor

If so, did you have any side effects?  Memory fuzzy?  Sleep later in the morning?  Anything?  TIA 

Mask   Mask   Mask

Honored Contributor

I don't recall any side effects as it has been quite some time ago, but I do remember that it had no effect whatsoever on my pain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have taken Gabapentin for many years.  Even early on I did not have any side effects.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I have restless legs which at times can be really bad - this was prescribed to me to try to help and to a point it did help but I became so dizzy the longer I took it so no longer do.  I have read that many people do have good luck with taking it.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

All of the above. 

Honored Contributor

I took it once for back pain and it did not help at all.

I don't remember any side effects but it was like taking nothing.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

It's been so long since I took it but I don't recall having any side effects.  I believe it did not work well for me. 

Respected Contributor

Re: EVER TAKE GABAPENTIN?

[ Edited ]

Here's my story: I had a ruptured disc and sciatica from the inners of the disc irritating the sciatic nerve. The pain was excruciating and nothing helped, not even Vicodin ( I went 3 weeks with almost no sleep), because nerve pain is different.
They finally put me on GABA ( because it is essentially for nerve pain) , and once I reached the treatment dose, the pain was so much better. I took it for at least a month, while working an intense job. I had no real side effects that were a problem. I was so thankful for gaba- 

I hope you feel better! 

Honored Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I have restless legs which at times can be really bad - this was prescribed to me to try to help and to a point it did help but I became so dizzy the longer I took it so no longer do.  I have read that many people do have good luck with taking it.  Good luck.

@colleena   Are you taking anything for restless leg syndrome now?  Gabapentin isn't usually prescribed for that.  I take Requip. It was like a miracle when I started taking it.  I had RLS for many years.  I had to get up in the middle of the night every night to walk around because I was so uncomfortable.

I finally figured out what it was and told my doctor about it.  She prescribed Requip, and now I don't have RLS.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor
My husband takes the maximum dose of Gabapentin daily for diabetic neuropathy. He could not function as well as he does without this medication.

Yes, I firmly believe this medication causes drowsiness, and contributes to his forgetfulness. If you are sick asnd running a fever, the analgesic effect of Gabapentin will affect those temperature readings. I knew my husband was running a high fever last year, but the ER nurse tried to say it was only "slightly elevated". I knew what the thermometer said, but I also knew my husband had taken his full strength aspirin, his pain meds and his Gabapentin, all 3 have analgesic effects and were keeping his temperature down, which she was not taking into consideration. Without the medication effects, his temperature would've probably registered 103.