Trusted Contributor

Re: EVER HAVE A "DEEP CLEANING"?

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Jeez...just reading the title of this post, I somehow thought it referred to something involving the “other end”, not the mouth.  Especially with “deep cleaning” in quotes, I just imagined it was a gentle reference to a deep place for cleaning! You know, some kind of colon cleanse or extensive “purge”  couched in polite reference.  Imagine my surprise reading the thread! 

Uh, I’m now edified... and laughing!  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did it with no numbing or anesthesia.....I thought it felt good. Maybe I am the odd one out?

@SeaMaidenI hear ya - and agree! It reminded me of how cleanings were done by the  dentist  him/herself when I was in my 20's and 30's! The hygienists are so gentle these days.

Respected Contributor

I've had it a few times.  In my case they do upper and lower on one side, and a week later the other side.  I'm always numbed up so there's no pain, and I don't recall having any pain afterward either.

Honored Contributor

I did.  My dentist did the upper and lower on one side then the upper and lower on the other side.

I was heavily numbed and that wasn't a picnic.  But once the numbing wore off, I had no pain at all.  

Honored Contributor

I had them done a couple of times - last time about 10 years ago ... usually by a peridontist, not the dentist.

They numb the section they are treating.  Never had any pain or discomfit afterward ...  as I can recall.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had it done in two visits. But it was a big mistake to have it done because I have scleroderma and the trauma from deep scaling left me with no option but to seek help from an oral surgeon. It caused my gums to recede terribly and now I'm looking at surgery to repair the damage. It's very difficult to find a doctor who has experience with this kind of oral healthcare.  Scleroderma is not a common disease, not rare, and treatment options are very limited.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did it with no numbing or anesthesia.....I thought it felt good. Maybe I am the odd one out?

If you've done this fairly recently, I agree, it's not bad

But way back in the day, it was like medieval torture

Painful for days afterwards.

The technique has improved with new tools

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

The “ deep cleaning “ is called planing and scaling.

For most of my life I had horrible, bleeding teeth cleaning sessions so I started to skip them.  A friend who was a hygienist started working for a new, much younger dental'practice that was very on top of all things new and required his staff to keep up.

My return required the planing and scaling which was done in 2 sessions.  I did not have swelling, tenderness or pain after each one.  

After the the final session, they gave me a WaterPic to clean my teeth.  I put a little Crest non-alcohol ( no burning) mouth wash in the water reservoir every night.

My dental cleanings have gone from dreaded sessions to a breeze.  At 73, WaterPic is all I use.

So good luck with the P & S: you will be amazed at how much improved your dental health will be.  Too, infections can start at the gums and cause damage elsewhere in the body.

E.g., a close friend needed to be on an IV drip confined to bed in her living room after her second knee replacement started to act up quite a bit after it was in place.  They figured out the starting site of the infection was the gum line.  Before they could go in and repair the knee, she had to have gum surgery to reduce or prevent re-infection.

Also, if there is a cardiac issue, the gum line may cause problems with infection.  Scary thought: our brains are really very close to that sight !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I've had it done and no problem. But I did get a shot first and a couple Advil and I felt fine afterwards. Your oral hygiene can affect your overall health, so I would never ever miss getting my teeth cleaned. 

Esteemed Contributor

"SRP"  "Scaling & Root Planing"  codes 4341 (per quad)  or 4342 (1-3 teeth)

it's periodontal treatment for gum disease, bone loss

@Tinkrbl44if you have insurance have the office do a pre-estimate