Esteemed Contributor

EMPLOYER REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYEES TO BE VACINNATED

Last night on the 6 o'clock news they did a segment on employers requiring their employees to get the Covid vaccine when it becomes available.  The same question was put to school districts.  Of course, it could become a legal issue for sure.  

It was suggested that if an employee refused, the employer may require them to work from home only.  There may also be exemptions for students and employees because of health conditions or religious beliefs.

Yes, this looks to be a future (far future) dilemma, but what is your opinion about this?  Can this be required or demanded of an individual?  Should there be a penalty for refusal? 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: EMPLOYER REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYEES TO BE VACINNATED

[ Edited ]

I suppose a company could make it a requirement when they hire someone. Personally, I will refuse to have the vaccine. I don't know yet if the place I work for will require it. Hopefully, it will be left up to the individual.

I don't have a religious or medical reason not to have the vaccine, other than when it comes to having something like a vaccine mandated for everyone, I naturally raise up my guard. I certainly wouldn't want it when it is so new and even with testing, we don't know what the long-term complications might be.

But if people feel better about having the vaccine, I feel they should be able to have it. Since it is going to be free to everyone, I feel a lot of folks will get vaccinated.

Honored Contributor

That's BS. You have the right to decide if you want the vaccine or not. I'm sure most would rather work from home anyways. LOL!!!

We are not taking it.

Trusted Contributor

I am not employed at this time but I’m not comfortable with employers making it mandatory, and I would suspect many will feel the same. When they were enforcing the flu shots that was controversial, too. I haven’t ever gotten the flu shot and would not get the covid vaccine. 

Honored Contributor

There are employees at certain places that are required to get a flu shot so I'm guessing those same employees would be required to get a Covid vaccine.  I'm talking about nursing home and hospital employees, etc. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs: This is not a novel concept. It has come up with flu vaccines in the past. My personal experience was as a MRI Tech in Illinois. My employer was forcing all employees to get the vaccine or wear a facial mask their whole shift and wear a badge, similar to the "Scarlet Letter" marking them as non-compliant. There were many people who could not take it like me due to having a Thimerosal allergy. I'm sure others had other reasons. I brought a note in from my doctor, and I was left alone. I do remember instances at other locations where nurses where threatened with their jobs if they did not comply. In an employ-at-will state like Illinois, the employer can probably do what they want in this scenario. In my case, when Thimerosal free shots became available, I had mine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Working in health care, always expected to have vaccinations - Flu, and when due Hep. and Pneumonia +annual TB screen.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

Being in the medical field is one category but what of everyone else? Are we talking about any employer who decides he or she wants all employees to be covid vaccinated can enforce that? I see lots of problems with that. 

Honored Contributor

Since, IMO, it will be at least a couple of years before a safe and effective vaccine is developed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Super Contributor

what about teachers?  It is shown children can and do get it, and pass it along...

This astounds me....your rights are being impinged on?? what about the general public?  what about parents with children with CP? Or folks getting chemo?  you dont just impact yourself.....how could you ive with yourself if you had the opportunity to vaccinate, didnt, and infected someone who then sufferred a catastrophic illness?

America...self indulgent and selfish...