Honored Contributor

E. coli outbreak from clover sprouts possibly from Jimmy Johns

There's an outbreak of E. coli from clover spouts. Everything can be found here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwje16D98PLnAhUMKKwKHRUDC7g...

Honored Contributor

Re: E. coli outbreak from clover sprouts possibly from Jimmy Johns

I have never heard of a Jimmy John's restaurant.  But I know there have been outbreaks of E.Coli in the past from sprouts.  Some stores don't carry them anymore.  Sprouts are very nutritionally dense as well as yummy in many dishes.  Sprouts are easy to grow and, I think, healthier than purchasing from a commercial source.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

It's a popular sandwich chain. The owner of Jimmy John's came 

under scrutiny back during the Cecil-the-Lion days when 

he was a popular big game hunter.  Pictures of him with animals, etc.

And social media was calling for a boycott...don't know if he

still hunts or not. I drive by a Jimmy John's store so they still

must be in business....even with janky sprouts. 🥴

Honored Contributor

I used to grow my own sprouts in the fridge. I quit years ago when raw sprouts were linked to repeated listeria outbreaks. I only eat cooked sprouts now. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I have never heard of a Jimmy John's restaurant.  But I know there have been outbreaks of E.Coli in the past from sprouts.  Some stores don't carry them anymore.  Sprouts are very nutritionally dense as well as yummy in many dishes.  Sprouts are easy to grow and, I think, healthier than purchasing from a commercial source.

@phoenixbrd I grew them for years. It's very easy to do but it's no less risky. They are prone to listeria contamination. Listeria thrives INSIDE REFRIGERATORS. I used to eat them in sandwiches with avocado. Nutritious but definitely dangerous.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

I did not know that about Listeria...thanks for mentioning it.

I love sprouts of all kinds, but quit buying them a while back.

Just seem like a high risk food.  But, then, everything seems to be risky these days!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Mindy D 

I did not know that about Listeria...thanks for mentioning it.

I love sprouts of all kinds, but quit buying them a while back.

Just seem like a high risk food.  But, then, everything seems to be risky these days!

@Witchy Woman There are levels of risk. Raw sprouts are considered to be the food with the most reported listeria contamination when checked under food inspection. This goes back for years. There are newer guidelines for commercial growers but they are still is significantly risky. COOK THEM. Clean surfaces where they have been stored with bleach solution, water with Chlorox bleach, wipe down.  Don't keep them for more than two days.

BELOW IS QUOTED FROM   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiM-pPR3PfnAhUCMawKHeLiAe0...

"Literally, killer sprouts

If the FDA could prevent illnesses from sprouts, it would save a lot of suffering. In its report from the 2014-2016 sampling project [PDF], the FDA explains that in the last two decades, from 1996 to 2006, outbreaks of foodborne illness linked to sprouts have caused 2,474 illnesses, 187 hospitalizations, and three deaths, the agency says in the report that it produced from its sampling project from 2014 to 2016. .

The number of people who really become sick in an outbreak is typically much higher, but most people don’t visit a doctor during their illness to have stool or blood samples taken so they can officially be counted as part of a given outbreak.

Sprouts are especially likely to spread illness because they’re grown in warm water where bacteria thrives, and are typically eaten raw without a “kill step” before they reach homes or restaurants. They also typically don’t have a kill step before being eaten, either, typically being served on a salad or a sandwich without being cooked."

Honored Contributor

I love all those sprouts but will not buy them from anywhere or have them on sandwichs anymore--but you can grow them so very easily at home. Did that years ago. Had a tube with different ends that you use during the growing part of it---you need to rinse them daily and in about a week you have fresh--CLEAN sprouts.