Honored Contributor
There is a group of researchers from the federal government in Albuquerque right now trying to determine what the short and long term effects of E Cigs might be. The city has banned sales of them to kids.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I did try hypnosis several years ago. I have tried the patch and Wellbutrin also years ago. I really don't want to try Chantix. I did quit when I was pregnant. I took a class that taught us to slowly wean off cigarettes. Cut back each day on the amount you smoke and you had wait at least 15 minutes after eating, by then the urge was usually gone. I think I will try that route again. It was the only plan that worked for me before. Stupid me for going back to it. I am starting this method today. Wish me luck.

Trusted Contributor
Everyone I know who quit did it cold turkey. Go on Amazon and buy the book EasyWay to Sop Smoking" by Allen Carr (not sure of spelling). READ IT! Its the most successful method in the world to quit. All the celebs, heads of corporations, heads of countries etc have been using it for years. He has a different spin on it and if you really want to quit it works. You can read it in one weekend. I know several people who read the book and quit. Years later they are still not smoking. The book has about 600 four and five star reviews. DO NOT read any of the negative reviews as these are people who really didn't want to quit bad enough. Make sure you buy the most recent edition as I think there are two. Everyone I know who read the book said it was the best and only method that worked and they tried everything. As I said he approaches it differently.
Trusted Contributor
Luvpoos, that is how my friend quit. He determined how many cigarettes he smoked in a day, and every day he subtracted one until he was down to none. It worked for him. He hasn't smoked in 25 years.
Honored Contributor

When I read "Chantix", it makes me so, so sad. A friend of a friend of mine died that is Chantix related...I believe it created the legislation for the safer Chantix of today.

Carter Albrecht was a musician here in Dallas in 2009. Trying to quit, he tried something new called "Chantix"...it caused him to act irrationally...enough where a neighbor shot/killed him...got national attention. Nicest guy, but the drug cost him his life. I believe the FDA formulation changed after this happened.

Since many say they experiment vivid dreams or unpleasant side effects, I had to respond in Carter's memory. Here's a WIKI about the incident.

Chantix - Carter Albrecht

Honored Contributor

E-cigs ARE as dangerous as regular cigs of rolled tobacco. Good for you for a clear xray of lungs however things can change dramatically sometimes when you don't even know it, and even after a clean xray.

Cold turkey works IF you really want it to. I used to smoke a pack a day if not sometimes a half pack more. I couldn't smoke at work and it did not bother me but I made up for it the minute I got in my car to drive home. I could smoke almost an entire pack b/t 5PM and 10PM (bedtime). If one can enjoy it, I did like millions of others - I do not deny this. One fine day in July many years ago WHILE smoking a cigarette and a half a pack sitting in front of me, watching tv, something came over me that told me "you don't need this anymore". I put out my cig in the ashtray, crumpled up the remaining pack and threw it in the trash. I had NO need or WANT ever again. Cold turkey. I don't know what THAT was but I never smoked again. Cold turkey works IF you let it into your life. I am SO glad I quit, I SO wanted to quit SO many times.

I'm also convinced that hypnosis works as well ONLY IF you allow it to. It's ALL in one's mind. I've had very close friends who also said they wanted to quit, did hypnosis b/c they said nothing else worked for them either. It did not work, one friend especially started back up. This kills me especially when she goes outside to smoke all the while knowing I'm still curing my husband of 2 types of cancer. She's so interested and caring to ask how he's doing, then goes outside to smoke. Maybe she really doesn't care how he's doing b/c she still smokes.

One either WANTS to quit smoking, or one really does not.

Super Contributor

luvpoos,

I don't want to step on anyones toes here, but I stopped smoking last december using e-cigs and it was the easiest thing I could have imagined. I have smoked cigarettes for over 30 years, tried cold turkey, patches, groups, hypnosis, gum and chantix. Nothing worked. A friend of mine, who was diagnosed with copd started using an e-cig. I was curious, as I didn't even know such a thing existed, so I researched them to death. Of course I wanted one that looked just like a cigarette. I tried a couple and they turned out to be junk and were quite expensive buying the cartridges. Then I got over myself and bought the Triton. I love it. The hardest part of it all was chosing the e-liquid. To be honest, you will never find one that tastes just like a cigarette? so you need to find a flavor you like and can live with. It took alot of trial and error, but I found 3 I love. I use a Triton e-cig from Halo and I get my e-liquid from Caterpiller Vapes. My flavors are espresso, coffee and black label. Once in a great while I use their menthol ice. I started out getting the lowest amount of nicotine, then dropped the nicotine entirely. I have stopped coughing, my sense of taste and smell greatly improved, along with my complexion, there is no mess, no stinky ashtrays, and I can pick it up and put it down anywhere, anytime...carry it in my pocket or my hand. I will also tell you that my DH still smokes cigarettes, and it doesn't bother me a bit. A couple of weeks ago, I tried a real cigarette and I couldn't smoke the entire thing. For me, it tasted nasty so I put it out and reached for my e-cig. Now that I am an e-cig user, I see people using them everywhere, so I feel like I fit right in. I wish you much luck in your challenge to quit. This just makes it so much easier. I found that it wasn't necessarily the cigarette, but the action associated with it. If I can answer any questions for you, feel free to ask.

Valued Contributor
My dh quit smoking 6 years ago by using Chantix and Wellbutrin. He smoked for 50 years - he started smoking when he was 12 years old. I would talk to your doctor about different ways to quit smoking. What worked for my dh may not work for you. E-cigs have helped some of our friends to quit smoking but E-cigs are fast becoming banned in a lot of cities now. Congratulations on your clear x-Ray and in your decision to quit smoking. Good luck!!
Honored Contributor
On 8/16/2014 TootyJane said: My dh quit smoking 6 years ago by using Chantix and Wellbutrin. He smoked for 50 years - he started smoking when he was 12 years old. I would talk to your doctor about different ways to quit smoking. What worked for my dh may not work for you. E-cigs have helped some of our friends to quit smoking but E-cigs are fast becoming banned in a lot of cities now. Congratulations on your clear x-Ray and in your decision to quit smoking. Good luck!!

Yes, it's true they're being banned. There's a myriad of dangers. As mentioned in the first article I posted, even some of the companies selling them are getting behind the campaign to regulate them so people will know what's going into their lungs, into the air, and under what conditions they're manufactured. (In addition to the serious hazards to children and pets.) Who wants to use any product that's "mixed on factory floors and in the back rooms of shops."{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

These e cigs are dangerous.