Valued Contributor

Anyone on these boards with Dupuytren’s and had successful treatment?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture

Yes, diagnosed several years ago when I had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands.  Dupuytren's in both hands also. No treatment yet.  Surgeon says not severe enough yet.

Respected Contributor

My mother had this and had successful surgery. Not 100% but pretty close.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@greamy wrote:

Anyone on these boards with Dupuytren’s and had successful treatment?

I  also have this condition in both hands. Fortunately it has not changed very much, so I don't need any procedures. My brother also has this, but his hands are much worse than mine. Are you prevented in some respects?

Valued Contributor

My husband had successful treatment about 5 years ago.  Now it is appearing in the other hand, and we have an appointment next week.  They inject an enzime that eats away, then in two days they manipulate (straighten) it out, then it is in a cast.  That is an oversimlification  of the procedure.  Don't be afraid, it will be worth it.

Valued Contributor

I've had the nodules on both palms for years but other than slight pain, I have not yet experienced any actual contracture.

I recently looked up the risk factors for this and was amazed to see that I fit none of those stated.  

I am one of nine offspring and my other siblings do not have this problem, so I am baffled as to how I do -

But my doctor told me that there are new techniques now to treat this that do not require surgery. 

Honored Contributor

@greamy 

My hair stylist, my friend has this.

it is painful for her to continue cutting hair, as on can imagine.

Whstever she had done to hers, it is no longer painful. She never had surgery, unless it was the enzyme type.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I have it and so does my older sister- neither of us have needed treatment yet..