Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

TheraBreath works for some people, either the oral rinse or lozenges.

@RetRN 

I had been using TheraBreath mouthwash but not the one for dry mouth which I did realize they made. My girlfriend told me about it. We have to order it online since they don't carry it in the stores around here.

I tried their lozenges years ago but did not like them. DH used them.

I needed a mint or gum for on the go. Sometimes I run out of water while out & about & my mouth gets so dry.

Honored Contributor

@Luvtuna wrote:

I also have a low thyroid problem and have dry mouth that mostly bothers me when I am sleeping. I've tried everything and the only thing that works for me is Act gum. Lately it's hard to find but I found it on Amazon. I don't use anything unless it's sugarfree during the night. I like Act lemon honey lozenges better than the mint. The gum only comes in mint and it pretty good.

@Luvtuna 

My mouth gets really dry when I'm sleeping since I breathe through my mouth & the ceiling fan is on high.

I think I breathe through my mouth because depending on which side I'm sleeping on that side of my nose gets stopped up.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 @Grouchomarx 

I tried Biotene years ago. Don't remember why I did not care for it. I will check it out again. Thanks for replying.

Spry makes a bunch of different products so think I will try some more of those since I like their gum.

Respected Contributor

My dentist told me to suck on a lemon drop now and then.  It really gets your spitters working overtime.  

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

My mouth is so dry sometimes I think I will start choking. I have tried a few different products which I did not like.

The dentist told me to use Act lozenges which seem to taste ok but after taking one my mouth was not dry but eventually I had a nasty after taste in my mouth. Not long after that I felt like I had bad breath all day so I'm not using those.

I bought some Spry spearmint gum which worked for me. Did not notice a nasty after taste like I did with other products. I will use this for a while to see how it goes.

If anyone else is looking for something for dry mouth you might want to try it.

I'm going to see what other products they have to try.

Me too, so I found these!  Oracoat  XYlimelts at the “A” company.  You can use them in your mouth all day or at night to get a good night’s sleep.  They stick to your gum and melt as you sleep or during the day.  They are mint flavored so they freshen your breath. They produce saliva and keep your mouth moist. I showed them to my dentist and she said they were OK. I only pay $9.99 for a pack of 40.  I’ve noticed there are numerous prices for the same product. I also use Smart Mouth for dry mouth and that has really helped, too. 

Respected Contributor

@NightowlzThis may not help you, but I have a very dry mouth..Ever since I started on Andrew Lessmen's  (2 a day) Phytoceramides with Biotin, my dry  mouth is so much improved.. 

I used to wake up at night & it felt like my mouth was glued shut...

It didn't take too long using it to see the improvement..Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Ask your physician for a prescription for dry mouth lollipops.   My late husband liked them when he was going through chemo.

@Nightowlz 

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Luvtuna wrote:

I also have a low thyroid problem and have dry mouth that mostly bothers me when I am sleeping. I've tried everything and the only thing that works for me is Act gum. Lately it's hard to find but I found it on Amazon. I don't use anything unless it's sugarfree during the night. I like Act lemon honey lozenges better than the mint. The gum only comes in mint and it pretty good.

@Luvtuna 

My mouth gets really dry when I'm sleeping since I breathe through my mouth & the ceiling fan is on high.

I think I breathe through my mouth because depending on which side I'm sleeping on that side of my nose gets stopped up.

Good point. I think that is part of my problem but it's hard to remind myself when I'm asleep not to breathe that way. I switch around from sides to back. Thank you for the input. I'm going to try a humidifier when it gets cold. We already have one on our furnace.

New Contributor

Hey All,

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I experience dry mouth occasionally due to stress, and it's pretty unbearable.

I happen to be a student at Stanford University working on a project related to dry mouth, specifically that caused by medication, and so all of your words have been helpful for me! If anyone is interested in chatting more, please let me know - I really want to understand exaclty what you all struggle with, so that we can figure out how to best help. 

Hope everyone can find effective relief.