Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Nightowlz    Man you sound just like me.  The thing that is really irritating , is that they didn't used to be like this.  Here is a good one for you.   I have also decided that I am not doing mammogram yearly.   I waited two years this last time.  I did a lot of research on these also.  A woman is exposed to 4 x-rays a year starting at age 40.   By 65 you have had 25 x-rays times 4.   Think about that.  That is right 25 times 4 to the breast tissue that is  very susceptible to radiation.   Also they have a thyroid shield that they never use.   This is something I had never heard of.   The article said "If you have had thyroid issues, ask for one."   I like you take thyroid and like you would never go if it wasn't for that.

So I go for my mammogram which I did to shut them up.   I asked for the shield.  (looks like a dog collar.   Velcros in the back.  She said we have them , do you want it?   I said yes I want it.  They have bruised my collar bone in he machine twice.  If your collar bone is in the machine, you know you are getting radiation at your thyroid.  She said they usually get in the way.  So I put in on and after the first two x-rays I asked. "Is it in the way"?    She said No.   After I was done I told her it will most likely be 3 years till she sees me again.   She said  "  DO YOU HAVE A MICROWAVE" ?????????  I had to really bite my tongue, so I sad yes, I do but I do not use it to heat up my boob or cook it in there.   Then she said k"Do you ago out in the sun???????  I was ready to knock her out.  I said "YES, I GO IN THE SUN----I LIVE IN FLORIDA.   I see my Dr in Sept. and I cannot wait to tell him.  I do not lay out in the sun,  but seriously, I have yard work to do.  You need a certain amount of sun , that is why everyone is having Vitamin D deficiency.   

@BalletBabe

I don't do my mammogram yearly either. Last time I went they asked if I was sure I had it done there.  They finally found my file & said it's been 5 yrs. I said oh well. They told me I needed to do it yearly. I told them that was my business.

I know if you start at 40 by 60 a lot of woman have breast cancer. They try to say you don't get much radiation but it adds up over the years. Now with their new 3D you get even more radiation & those that do the 2D & 3D get even more.

I have asked for the collar before plus also at the dentist. They act like it's an inconvenience for them to get it for you.

I also have an appt in Sept but I'm going to cancel it. They scheduled me for 6 months instead of 1 year.

I think they should offer thermography which Ins should have to cover it. We should have a choice of which way we are tested.

Lots of Sun in Fl. I was born in Orlando. My 2 sisters live in Jax.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz  You crack me up.   You are so much like me it isn't funny.   Your right , it is your business,  and your body!   Can you imagine being asked if you have a microwave?   I researched that,  and Microwaves can leak radiation, but it is very very rare.  It does no effect your food either.   The problem is that if you don't research, which most people don't, they believe everything that they are told. 

I would love to know why they said 6 months.  Your Insurance won't pay for it in 6 months unless someting showed up.   

Yes your right they act like your bothering them about the collar.  My dentist has always provided one.   THe more I talk about this the more ticked off I get.   It is all about money..  That line you only get a little radiation???   They say that about everything.   It is bologna.  4 x-rays on breast tissue every year is bad news. Bottom line!

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe  My opthamologist mentioned the serum eye drops to me last week. He said that they work but it's expensive and it's something you need to keep usiing. It's a 6 month order for about $600.00 or 12 months for $1150.00.  Wow!

I live in Florida,  Where are you?  Maybe I should fly to your state to get this, it might be cheaper.  Are you certain you use yours once and they last for all that time?  I'd like to know more about how they're working for you.  Thanks.