Honored Contributor

Re: Drugs scheduled to become generic (and maybe less costly)

@2blonde wrote:

@handygal2  Well, not this girl.  Who need some old guy chasing them around for 4 hours!  Cat Tongue

@2blondeWoman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@MomCat

Cosmetic products are not regulated or approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, so who knows what they contain or what effects they will have on people?

Drugs, on the other hand, have to be approved by the FDA or they can't (or shouldn't) be prescribed and sold here.

This is my understanding of the situation.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure many will be thankful for the generic drugs....i have found some drugs i try to stick to the Brand Name

drug ....

I have read this and heard this from my doctors before....

The generic drug manufacturer must prove that their product contains the same active ingredient(s) as the brand name product. ... "generics may include differentinactive ingredients such as preservatives or fillers." But there may be differences between brand name and generic drugs.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@MomCat

Cosmetic products are not regulated or approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, so who knows what they contain or what effects they will have on people?

Drugs, on the other hand, have to be approved by the FDA or they can't (or shouldn't) be prescribed and sold here.

@novamc1  As a CPh, I can tell you this is absolutely correct.  As long as you are getting your medication from a licensed pharmacy and not the street corner or local bodega, the FDA regulations are mandatory for everyone brand and generic.  NO exceptions.

And BTW, it is absolutely illegal in the USA to buy off the internet which is usually bogus meds.  I'm not talking your mail order prescriptions but going to any supposed stand alone online pharmacy is still not legal in our country even from Canada.  

Honored Contributor

I wish they had a generic for Armour thyroid

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17  Yes, sometimes there are significant differences.  That happened to me when they changed mine from Premarin to Estradiol.  I started having extremely sore and painful nipples, and couldn't figure out why until I realized it dated back to starting the new generic drug.  I researched it and found that while the Premarin is made from horse urine, the Estradiol is plant based.  There definitely is a difference!  After a couple months, my problem resolved itself, and all was fine after that.

When they switched my Nasonex to the generic (momatasone), it turned out to be exactly the same drug, same packaging, except for the name.  It was even the same manufacturer.  Apparently, after the patent runs out they realize the only way they are going to continue to get the business is by selling their own generic!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

One of my husband's meds is on the list but not until 2022. 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

Thank you very much for the information.💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@MomCat

@novamc1  As a CPh, I can tell you this is absolutely correct.  As long as you are getting your medication from a licensed pharmacy and not the street corner or local bodega, the FDA regulations are mandatory for everyone brand and generic.  NO exceptions.

And BTW, it is absolutely illegal in the USA to buy off the internet which is usually bogus meds.  I'm not talking your mail order prescriptions but going to any supposed stand alone online pharmacy is still not legal in our country even from Canada.  

@Laura14

You mean when I was ordering my Erfa Thyroid from Canada online it was not legal? I had to have a script.

I know you can order some thyroid medication online from Thailand without a script so guess you would be on your own with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  Here is the honest answer to that.  Totally illegal. 

Having said that, is the DEA going to bother tracking down private citizens who are doing mail orders from out of the country for maintenance medications?  Obviously not.  They are more interested in the heroin, fentanyl, etc rings and don't have time for small potatoes.   

The biggest thing you have to worry about if you do order from Canada or overseas is that there is zero FDA regulation or oversight.  So you can literally only hope that what you are getting is what you expect it to be.  I personally would never recommend getting medication from outside the US.  You just don't know if it's the real thing or made in someone's basement.