Trusted Contributor

Re: Drug prices now required in ads

Drug companies are ripping off consumers big time.  My brother-in-law works at a drug reasearch facility and he said most drugs cost 75% less than what these drug companies charge!  Most drug development costs hardly anything, it is the patents these companies have to pay that makes them charge you $200 a pill,instead of $2.  This is the  biggest joke and the government should do something about it!

Valued Contributor

RIDICULOUS:

Trintellex---$378 a month

Restasis---$500 a month

Esteemed Contributor

If the Drug companies are up in arms about it...it has to be a good thing...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

does anyone know when this is supposed to take effect? DH just had $83 eyedrops prescribed for his allergies; that is absurd so he used some OTC eye drops; he was given an antibiotic to take and the pharmacist said it would do the same thing as the eyedrops. I take tier 3-4 drugs and have no alternative....but some of the other stuff is outrageous.....when I see what the total is for some people at my pharmacy is for someone checking out ahead of me and they don't seem shocked or appalled, I am amazed. $1200 for one bottle of 30 tablets? Someone is getting rich and it isn't the consumer!
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

I think getting the price of the drugs down first is a good start. Then I guess you can call around to the pharmacys to find who has the best price.

(As far as what your insurance pays, lets get the prices down then worry about that). imo

@SeaGal  I agree. So what we know the bloated prices.  We've been gouged long enough,real change is lower prices.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I think it may turn out to be a good idea....people just watching these commercials hear "4000K" listed as the price and think WHAT?  It may help people become truly aware of the outrageous  drug manufacturer ripping sick people off!  The more things are put in the sunlight the better I say.  

I have found that using goodrx type coupons to get most of my scripts filled beats ALL the cheaper pharmacies.  Even Costco and by alot!  $40 on one of my scripts back when I was taking it.  Now I am on different medication and same thing happened.  Cheaper using goodrx then my insurance....$35.  

My thyroid medication truly baffles me....all of them have been around a long long time...and yet they are very expensive!  Again I compare all pharmacies plus have goodrx coupon with me and have them check my insurance with it 1st then go with the cheapest one for the same drug.

Some generics of thyroid medication don't work well but I can say that same thing about Armour now that they changed it years back....don't want that brand and it is so crazy expensive.  

The shocking thing is over seas these drugs don't cost anywhere near as much....from what I understand alot of our medications are made over there too.  

Honored Contributor

My gastro doc whom I’ve been seeing for well over thirty years prescribed Linzess for me.  When my daughter went to pick it up, she called me to tell me it was over $200.  I told her to forget it.  I then called the doc and he got so mad at me that he instead prescribed 998 refills of prescription ranitidine (OTC Zantac).  I would have to live two more lifetimes to finish that prescription!

I “got” his message though and haven’t been back to him since.

And if you ever ask a doctor how much a med will cost, most of them will say they don’t know.  So I don’t know how much good it will be to try to figure out the cost, with all the variables.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Costco quoted me the highest price for my scripts of anyone in the area...by over $100. And it is n my preferred list. DH’s Insurance company raised the tier of two of his drugs this year...the higher the tier, the higher the cost. Clever, huh? One of the drugs is still on a lower tier on my insurance....go figure.
Honored Contributor

I have to admit I do like the chantix slow turkey ads....very cute! Maybe because there are no people in them.
Honored Contributor

LilacTree:

'What nerve'.............

(All of those intentional refills)

And 'No comment' right now.....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).