Honored Contributor

Re: Drug prices now required in ads

I don't see how this is going to help the consumer unless you show up at the doctors office armed with reams of paper that you could consult before agreeing to the prescription being suggested.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @Nightowlz .  I wish we could go back to the days of no drug ads, no doctor ads, no hospital ads.  Everythng she mentions is spot on, IMO.  And the money that would be saved with all that is involved in making a commercial - marketing, actors, directing, and whatever else because I don't know but I am sure that it is not cheap. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116 wrote:

@Carmie 

My formulary book tells me what Tier my prescriptions are in, but not what the copay will be.  One of my RX was $198 at Walgreens, and $69 at Costco.  Same drug, same day, same insurance.  I like that drug companies will have to list the costs in their ads.

@mac116   I've never heard of that.  Your tier with your insurance company decides the price, not the pharmacy.  Maybe Walgreens isn't a preferred pharmacy with your insurance company and Costco is.  Still, I wouldn't think the difference wouild be over $100.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thats just nonsense.  Doesnt help at all. Each insurance company has their own formulary.  If a drug costs $50.00, one company you might pay $45 and another company you might only pay $3.50.  It doesnt help, meaningless rhetoric from people that dont have a clue!!

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I agree with @Nightowlz .  I wish we could go back to the days of no drug ads, no doctor ads, no hospital ads.  Everythng she mentions is spot on, IMO.  And the money that would be saved with all that is involved in making a commercial - marketing, actors, directing, and whatever else because I don't know but I am sure that it is not cheap. 

Totally agree!  I can't stand the drug ads.  The World News with David Muir seems to only run ads for drugs.  If I hear anything more about Humira I'm gonna die.  It's relentless.  Who do they think they're helping?  They're just driving up the cost of meds with expensive advertising.   Sometimes you listen to the list of side effects which "may include death" and it's insane.  Also, when they tell you don't take this drug if you're allergic to it. 

Trusted Contributor

I think this thread proves what I thought when I heard about this today. No one really cares about the cost of drugs. They care about their copay. But you should care about what your insurance is possibly paying for them. I know a rheumatologist and she has to purchase the drugs that are dispensed at the office. Holy cow are those bills outrageous.

Honored Contributor

Something must be missing because that doesn't make any sense to me.  Most of us don't know what drug our doctors MIGHT prescribe until we are at the visit.  We can ask about generics but we can't price compare before the visit.  

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

My insurance covers 50% of Tier 4 drugs.  So if pharmacy A charges $300 for the drug, I pay $150.  If pharmacy B charges $200 for the same drug, I pay $100.  Where I fill my prescriptions make a HUGE difference since I take a few Tier 4 drugs.  

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

@NickNack 

My insurance covers 50% of Tier 4 drugs.  So if pharmacy A charges $300 for the drug, I pay $150.  If pharmacy B charges $200 for the same drug, I pay $100.  Where I fill my prescriptions make a HUGE difference since I take a few Tier 4 drugs.  

@mac116   I didn't think about that.  That makes complete sense. I knew Walgreens was expensive but am very surprised that it's that much more than Costco.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I'm really glad to hear this.  Frankly, I've always felt that any medicine a person needed should be discussed with their doctor.  I'm fed up with commercial after commercial touting this or that drug.  I know the pharmaceutical companies are up in arms about all of this, but I think it's going to be a good thing.  If they choose to advertise on tv, people will know what prices they charge, and can then discuss options with their health care providers.  Maybe prices will actually start to come down.  It's ridiculous that medicines that have been around for years have increased in price exponentially in recent years.  The greed in the pharmaceutical industry is beyond comprehension.