Honored Contributor

Re: Drug Expiration Dates - More Myth Than Fact?

For the most part we always advised to just keep them in a cool, dry place and most are good for quite a few years.

That didn't apply to antibiotics, however.   It was always recommended to not keep those for nearly as long.

I recently had some rx pain meds that were quite a few years old.  I said 'sure, I'll take them because I know what I'm doing and it won't hurt to try - better than have somebody throw them away'.   I found them to work exactly as well as I would have expected (it was a small variety of different things).   I was happy to have the help!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde  @Teddie  I will reuse a lancet over until it is so dull it bends (joking). I use them for months before replacing. I do use a fresh pen needle for every insulin injection. I keep a Timesulin cap on my Novolog and Levemir pens, so leaving a needle on the pen would not be a good idea as it would void the warranty on the caps.  

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  Interesting. My group is doing just that. If you read my earlier post. I am the only one in the group that does not have a CGM. I tested every hour and my BG's have stayed within my targeted range (70 premeal, 100 post meal.) I produce no insulin of my own. Those with CGM's have had great BG's using expired insulin, frozen and thawed insulin and insulin kept in a car in the Georgia sun. Two of the men doing this have gotten their 50 year Joslin medals. I am confident they know what they are doing too.

I survived the "Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, NY. The grocery stores and pharmacies were out of everything in 5 days, back then. It was ugly. Now those same establishments restock daily. Should there be a "grid" or other problem, I will not be worrying about my stash of insulin. I have managed to stockpile 4 years worth.  

Anyone stockpiling should be somewhat relieved to know their medications will be good for a lot longer than they originally thought.

Again, I certainly do not recommend anyone do what we are doing.

– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@Trinity11  Interesting. My group is doing just that. If you read my earlier post. I am the only one in the group that does not have a CGM. I tested every hour and my BG's have stayed within my targeted range (70 premeal, 100 post meal.) I produce no insulin of my own. Those with CGM's have had great BG's using expired insulin, frozen and thawed insulin and insulin kept in a car in the Georgia sun. Two of the men doing this have gotten their 50 year Joslin medals. I am confident they know what they are doing too.

I survived the "Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, NY. The grocery stores and pharmacies were out of everything in 5 days, back then. It was ugly. Now those same establishments restock daily. Should there be a "grid" or other problem, I will not be worrying about my stash of insulin. I have managed to stockpile 4 years worth.  

Anyone stockpiling should be somewhat relieved to know their medications will be good for a lot longer than they originally thought.

Again, I certainly do not recommend anyone do what we are doing.

Wow...@ CatLoverDogsToo...your 2 hour postprandial is 100!!!?? What are you eating? 70 makes me shakey and weak. I cannot drive with a 70. Your A1C must be phenomenal. Didn't you recently post your doctor said you are Type 2..or am I thinking of another poster..

I would not use outdated or frozen, heated insulin. After 28 days of use, I follow ADA's instructions to discard it. I have found it loses potency. Having had diabetic ketoacidosis and nearly lost my life, I follow my doctor's advice...

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  I am a Type 1. Diagnosed when I was found unconscious in DKA with Kidney failure. According to the ER docs and CCU docs, I would have died within the hour had my adult children not gotten me to the ER when they did. I was in a coma at the time, and have no memory of any of it. I only know what my daughter has told me and what my medical records contain. It wasn't pretty.. 

The doc I see, for prescriptions only,  doesn't think any adult can be a Type 1 (he is ill-informed and probably should not be treating diabetics). Any adults he sees, he changes diagnosis of Type 1 to Type 2.

I would be willing to bet a huge amount of money that if he saw you, he'd change your diagnosis to Type 2 as well, and you KNOW you are a Type 1. Aggravating isn't it?

His PA and nurses have all told him he is wrong.  He is not an endocrinologist, but seems to think he knows more than they do. I don't care, I just want my prescriptions refilled, that is all I need from him.

I follow a low carb diet, high fiber, healthy fat diet. Not a high fat diet as many seem to think a low carb diet is. The people in my "research and testing group" also follow the same diet. The 50 year Joslin Diabetic Medal recipients are also Type 1 following the same diet I do, that is where I got much of my information on my diet. . 

Over the past 4 years of doing what I am doing I have not had a recurrence of DKA. 

I have not had any problems using expired insulin nor have any of my group. 

I am on Novolog and Levemir and use the pens.

When I followed ADA guidelines 4 years ago, my BG's were awful.

We all have to do what we think is right as we are ultimately the only ones who know what our bodies need and what really works for us.

YDMV (Your Diabefes May Vary)

Nothing I have written is ever intended to be a recommendation to do what I am doing.  It really is just for informational purposes only and was only posted in response to Moonchilde's very interesting post about expired medications.

If you are getting great results doing exactly what the ADA and your doctor recommends, then of course you should continue to do that.

My way works for me.

All the best to you.

– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo, amazing that any doctor with a DO or MD after his name wouldn't know in the year 2017 how to differentiate between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. A simple Serum C-Peptide, Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody, Islet Cell Antibody test all tell how much insulin the pancreas is making. Personally, it would worry me if I were to become ill that my doctor had no idea how to test for diabetes. It would concern me on what else he didn't have knowledge of.

Good to read that you are doing well now.