Honored Contributor

Drug Availability

[ Edited ]

We've heard for some time that some drugs may be in short supply.  I have auto refills from my mail-order supplier, OptumRX.  I've received 3 notices in the past week that they may be unable to fill my prescription or can only do a partial refill due to availability.  None of these prescriptions are earth shakingly important, but I'm somewhat alarmed that other more important things may also become scarce.

Has anyone else experienced a problem filling prescriptions?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I use OPTUM, also, but no issues as of yet. Hope they can get you what you need.

Esteemed Contributor

I have already run into this.

The pharmacist can or won't help, but I went over to urgent care and laid it all out.  

First find out exactly what strengths are in stock and then ask for a mix to get up to your strength.  Have to pay for two prescriptions, but my heart thanked me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Drug Availability

[ Edited ]

No, I haven't had any issues but I've known for years that there would be scarcity problems and that people will have to rely on natural methods/remedies.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624      This is NOT about prescriptions....but other "little bathroom stuff" you don't think much about.........so I have been buying backups of tooth paste, rubbing alcohol, contact wetting solution, aspirin, cotton balls, etc.  "just in case".    

This morning on the news, I saw pictures of the empty streets in Shanghai, deserted docks with containers unable  to be loaded....and their government's fear of ANOTHER covid strike.    Made me nervous to think about another supply chain disaster that will affect all kinds of products, and from all over, not only just China.   And then....there's the war.....    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    I, too, heard last week that there are new Covid problems affecting manufacturing and shipping in Asia.

Optum has been sending some of my drugs much earlier than expected and I've been hoarding them....just in case.  I also keep "extras" of otc bathroom products on hand as well as otc drugs like generic Allegra.  Kerchoo.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drug Availability

[ Edited ]

I had that problem with OptumRX in the past. My friends love the convenience of them, but I stopped using them years ago and just went to Walgreens to fill them. It's much easier, and I've never had any problems with shortages.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54   I've had Optum about 3 or 4 years and have gotten great service.  Previously had Caremark which was awful.  I've never experienced shortages before

Honored Contributor

We didn't have medication issues, it was with the last two refills for diabetic testing supplies.

Both times it was for testing strips.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi    I, too, heard last week that there are new Covid problems affecting manufacturing and shipping in Asia.

Optum has been sending some of my drugs much earlier than expected and I've been hoarding them....just in case.  I also keep "extras" of otc bathroom products on hand as well as otc drugs like generic Allegra.  Kerchoo.

@Kachina624    I don't mean to sound like CHICKEN LITTLE....but I spent years in the Girl Scouts(!!)

(And I buy Walmart "benedryl" in the BIG bottle...everything is blooming here...98° tomorrow.)    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥