Honored Contributor

Re: Drinking more water - tips

I worked in 100°+ factory for over 30 years on the cooler days. As an athlete that ran distances and played hockey and was a referee, my beverage was always plain ole water, and lots of it.

Have had some type of water filter for decades now in our homes, much better than plain tap water. When out, like right now, I always have my quart water bottle with me. I personally do not doctored up water, plain ole water will always be my choice.

One of my toughest health issues was after my 2nd heart attack when I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure(CHF). Was limited to a total of 64oz. of fluids a day, and for me that seemed like a thimble of fluid. This included ALL fluids in 24 hours.

Fortunately I was able to work hard enough to change my Ejection Fraction numbers(EF) high enough to no longer be classified as suffering from CHF. The human body is mostly fluid and knowing that and always working and having passions that included higher body heat, water was/is enough for me.

No tips for you how to make water taste better other than get a good home filter system, and train yourself to understand the importance of it to your body to function efficiently. Mind over matter works for many.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't really have any tips because I just forced myself to do it.  Years and years ago, I used to be a soda drinker then I moved to diet soda. Then I just started making myself drink water.

I have my cup of coffee every morning then with lunch I drink a 16.9 bottle of water.  I bring a bottle back to work with me and drink that in the afternoon and then I have another bottle with dinner and a bottle after dinner.  

I don't put anything in it although I do like some of the infused waters you can do yourself but I'm not a lemon fan.  Adding any of those powders to water are not good for you.  All fake chemicals.

Periodically I drink a flavored seltzer water if I want carbonation. 

Honored Contributor

My tip is to make a pitcher of ice tea. I went thru chemo 5 years ago and was told to drink ALOT of fluids each day and ice tea was my answer. I use herbal and or decaf teas,especially green tea and usually drink 1 pitcher every 2 days. During the summer when my herbs are growing crazy, I add fresh mint and this year, lemon thyme---oh so good. I love the sparkling water too and drink alot of that. 

Honored Contributor

I like to take a small slice of fresh ginger and put it in my plain water. You can let larger amounts infuse overnight in the fridge if you need more.

Honored Contributor

I use Crystal Light in my water, it's the only way that I can get my 100 ozs a day in.  When I go out I take 1 or 2 of the 8oz bottles of water with me.  In the winter I have a couple of big mugs of decaf tea, that counts as water.  

Respected Contributor

I've just always been a person who loves the taste of a cool glass of water, so I drink it all day long (after my morning coffee, of course).  In the evening at home, I keep a pitcher of Crystal Light in the fridge and drink that.  I never drink soda.  I'm also a jogger, so I chug it before and after that.  Luckily the water around here tastes good, so I don't need the bottled stuff.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

We have reverse osmosis water and it tastes wonderful. We usually have a pitcher of green tea made up in the fridge.  

Another idea, if you like flavored water is SweetLeaf Sweet Drops, which is liquid Stevia. They have many flavors. Some flavors I have now are Chocolate Raspberry (great in oatmeal with blueberries and raspberries or strawberries), grape (we add a little to our grandson's sippy cup in water and he thinks he's getting juice, without the sugar), vanilla cream, root beer, and peppermint (which is so good in that green tea I drink). 

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for drinking more water?  I love plain carbonated water; but, I'm wondering about ways to make non-carbonated water tastier.

I've heard of some people using lemon slices and soaking them in a large picture of water overnight.

Please, any suggestions?  Or details on how you make it tastier?

Thanks!

@Julie_23  I drink Perrier, get it at Costco, and bottled water, get a huge jug at the grocery store.  I love Kevita Lemon with Cayenne, but it is expensive, so am figuring out how to make something similar.

Valued Contributor

Wow, everybody, these tips are great!   Much appreciation for all the ideas and details.

Thank you very much!

Honored Contributor

If you are trying to avoid artificial sweeteners and chemicals you need to make sure to read the ingredients on anything you drink.

Chrystal Light, flavored sparkling waters, Propel Zero, Mio water enhancer, etc. are no better than diet pop.  They all contain artificial sweeteners and chemicals.  I personally avoid all that stuff.