Valued Contributor

Does anyone have any tips for drinking more water?  I love plain carbonated water; but, I'm wondering about ways to make non-carbonated water tastier.

I've heard of some people using lemon slices and soaking them in a large picture of water overnight.

Please, any suggestions?  Or details on how you make it tastier?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Drinking more water - tips

I like to use flavor drops.

There's a great variety available, not cheap but they last a good while.

Find a drinking vessel you like, you will be more likely to use it if you like it.

It may mean some trial & error.   While the stainless steel cups are very popular, I'm fine with a Tervis-type cup, with a top that can close between sips.  Also , anything over 20 oz is too big for me.    If it fits your hand comfortably, you will be more likely to use it.

I haven't tried the infusion type, for me it would be too high maintenance for me.   You have to buy the fruit/veggies, cut it up, keep it in the fridge, put it in your water, then clean it out every day.   A guy at work brags on his, but his wife does all the work for him!

I do like lemon in my water but it's more work.   I don't need anything to stand in the way of me drinking my water.    I try to do minimum 60 oz, plus juice and iced tea.

@Julie_23

Trusted Contributor

I also drink carbonated ice water with Stevia flavored drops. I also drink lemon water. Cut a bag of lemons in half, run them thru an electric citrus juicer (about $19 or so on Amazon) and put the juice in a small lock and lock. When filling a glass of ice water, put some lemon juice in and a straw. Mix up and it's wonderful! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23  I have a separate pitcher of filtered water, I add:

lemon slices or lime slices or watermelon or cucumber or strawberries or a mixture of any.

You can leave the items in the water for about a week.  I just keep adding more filtered water.

I started out using an infusion pitcher but fould cutting  larger  pieces was easier to work with.

Honored Contributor

I have coffee in the a.m. and switch to water in p.m.  Nice, cold, bottled water.  After I read about lemon peel's for the water, I'd be sure to wash them very good before I cut them and just plopped them water.  But I also just read all the things water does for us.  That alone encourages us to drink more water.  It's like botox from the inside out. There ya go!

Super Contributor

Water tastes so good to me in the morning, so I am making a habit of downing a tall glass of chilled water right after my first cup of coffee.  

I work from home and have to remind myself to take a couple of "mental breaks" during the day.  I am learning to incorporate a refreshing glass of water into those breaks, often just standing at my kitchen window, watching the birds at the birdbath.   

Esteemed Contributor

I down a tall glass of water first thing (before coffee). W/ squeezed in lemon. After this, I just drink it throughout the day as desired. I don't try to consume so many ounces or glasses. What I try to consume is green tea.

For subtle flavor, you could always throw in a green tea disc (without heating the water). I get the green teas from Republic. It's the green tea that is so healthy!

Just me, but I couldn't add anything w/ any kind of sweetness.

Honored Contributor

I drink water with tons of ice!

Its the only way I like it.

I used to hate drinking it at all but my bil would fill his glass with ice water and swirl the ice around, drink and say mmm! and he always made it look so good! Thats what got me drinking it with ice.

Image result for pictures of water with ice

Doesn't that look good?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

In the past I've done a splash of juice (100% not the sugar kind) and it's kind of the same thing as placing fruit slices.  Just a lazier way to do it.  I hate pulp which the fruit slices tend to create in the water so I like it better pure with juice liquid added only.  

Honored Contributor

Fill a pitcher with the amount you want to drink each day.Everytime you think about food just have a big glass of water first.