Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

SF is known for really good water.   A long time ago the city mothers and fathers purchased land for a reservoir and it's wonderful.

I never used to like straight water, I think because my father was always nagging me to drink water.  Now I love it, especially ice water.  I keep a Thermos of fresh SF water at the bedside every night.

Hetch Hetchy, the source of SF water:

Image result for hetch hetchy

You are lucky, @Noel7

I used to live in the East Bay MUD water district that had great water.  Now I'm in a district with not as good water and I don't even want to filter it.  So I buy bottled gallons.  Usually Crystal Geyser or the equivalent.  (I can't manage those huge containers that sit on top of home water dispensers.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I’ll drink a liter upon waking & getting ready for the day.

Usually another liter when working out.

At the end of the day 2-3 liters. 

Respected Contributor

@Big Joaniewrote:

I have a pitcher in the kitchen I fill everyday ... no way can I miss that water....

But I know i am lucky as I actually like water ....some people I know have

to force it down .....

I also like to keep a pitcher of water in the kitchen. I am more likely to drink it when I see the pitcher on the counter.

Honored Contributor

If I don't drink the equivalent if 5 bottles of water a day, I feel dehydrated.  

Valued Contributor

Does "red" water count?

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I drink one of these in the a.m., when I go to the gym (25 oz).

Then, througout the day I try to polish off one of these (60 oz.) and then maybe more refills when I get home.

The advice I read was to divide your current weight in half.  That is the number of ounces of water to drink daily, plus an additional liter per hour of exercise.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Drinking enough water

[ Edited ]

@Noel7  This water myth is especially true if you eat a lot of water rich plants.  However, I still carry water with me and drink half of my body weight in water.  It just makes my body happyHeart

@Noel7wrote:

Just an FYI:

If there is one health myth that will not die, it is this: You should drink eight glasses of water a day. It's just not true. There is no science behind it. ... The first myth was that people should drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.Aug 25, 2015

Honored Contributor

DH asks how do you know you need water? You get thirsty.

Honored Contributor

liens Re: Drinking enough water

This is my fav story about carrying your water. Years ago I had relatives that always carried their own water. They had well water. Now the reason they carried their own water was NOT cuz they thought they needed water but because they believed aliens had contaminated city water. When I say aliens I mean visitors from outer space. True story.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

DH asks how do you know you need water? You get thirsty.

@Group 5 minus 1 and all-

This is what my mother's doctor told my mother several years ago.

And it has been several years that the thinking on drinking 8 glasses or whatever a day, has changed.

You can read about it on many sites.

Sciencealert.com says that you should listen to your body. And of course everyone may need different amounts.

I do get thirsty but I only like water with lots of ice. Like some others have said, just plain water is kind of gag worthy!

Too much water can deplete the necessary levels of sodium in your body as well. And that can be just as dangerous as being dehydrated.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"