Honored Contributor

This was me for DECADES!  Having lost 150 pounds, I no longer dread it.  I'm proud of what I've accomplished and happy when my NP or MD recognize it.  

Respected Contributor

I don't have a problem with my weight, but I have the biggest problem getting my blood pressure taken. There's not a whole lot you can do to "control it" if just getting it makes you anxious, which of course makes it spike.  

So I take it about four times a week just to be used it.  It's really annoying that my dentist takes my blood pressure too, I mean think about the worst place to get your blood pressure taken!

Valued Contributor

Weight is a number it goes up and down,we like it sometimes and not other times. But think age is also a number and that just keeps going up and never down..So just be grateful you are able to control the numbers on the scale if you need too,hard to do but it can be done.

Respected Contributor
I have tried to tell nurse I'm not getting on scale and she always says dr requires it
Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam Mine tried that with me several times on "required" tests. Nothing is required unless I the patient say so and have the money and ability to make it happen.

Having a weight unless they are prescribing medication is not required. And if they think it is, then they are required to give you a satisfactory explanation as to why. Feel free to say no thank you, not today as a final sentence if you can sense BS. 

Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. I swear they give lessons in intimidation in med school and here we all are trying to do the right thing by ourselves by coming to see them.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Luvsmyfam Mine tried that with me several times on "required" tests. Nothing is required unless I the patient say so and have the money and ability to make it happen.

Having a weight unless they are prescribing medication is not required. And if they think it is, then they are required to give you a satisfactory explanation as to why. Feel free to say no thank you, not today as a final sentence if you can sense BS. 

Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. I swear they give lessons in intimidation in med school and here we all are trying to do the right thing by ourselves by coming to see them.

That must be nice. The world I live in is different.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr appt today

[ Edited ]

At times, the actual number is not as important to the provider as the fluctuation.  

When your weight stays within a range of a few pounds up or down, it shows the provider a degree of stability in your habits.   I may not be happy with my weight, but it has fluctuated within a 4 lb range for over 10 years.   

Because of food allergies, I eat the same foods consistently, which is reflected in my weight, as well as my cholesterol and triglycerides.   My provider can say whatever he wants about my weight number, but I've got him beat on BP, cholesterol and triglyceride numbers every visit.   

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee  No it's not. Unless someone has conservatorship/guardianship over you, what you say goes.

Never give your power to someone who does not have your best interests at heart and you are the only one who has that in spades.

As long as you require of yourself to not only advocate but to also take the time to be educated about what's being done and why, it's your body, your payment of services rendered, your choice.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't fret about your weight, it is just a part of you.  As sure as you picked to dye your hair or paint you toes, it was a personal choice.

I get more upset to see my height shrink.

Respected Contributor

I don't mind the weigh in.  What I don't like is the GYN exam.  The only time I want to see stirrups is on a horse saddle. 🐎  I rather have a root canal done.  😖

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread