Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Weil's "Vitamin Advisor"...please, no bashing.

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Moonchilde

No medical doctor will "prescribe" any patient a supplement.  They are not in the business of doing that.  They are in the business of keeping the drug companies rich and happy.

Luckily my doctors, whom I follow, are NOT in the business of keeping the drug companies rich & happy.   Everyone gets off their medication by eating a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet. 😀

Amazing what the power of food can do.🍏🍎🍊🍋🍠🍆🍑

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Moonchilde

Kudos to you for recognizing that a supplement made a difference in your health.  Glad you are feeling better Smiley Happy

And you are correct.  No medical doctor will "prescribe" any patient a supplement.  They are not in the business of doing that.  They are in the business of keeping the drug companies rich and happy.

I have, though, had conversations with my doctor where she would say "I've had patients tell me that such-and-such (supplement) has been helpful for that", and I would tell her things I had tried (not necessarily a supplement).  Or I would ask and she would say sure, go ahead, but don't take more than X mg/day. Good doctors, IMO, are both open-minded and do their research.

I think most doctors don't recommend supplements for one thing because they know that most people will have the "if one helps, five will *really* help!" philosophy and take too much. Also, too many companies make products of different quality and different dosages, and doctors barely have the time to read up on FDA-regulated medications so they can't recommend specific brands.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Moonchilde

No medical doctor will "prescribe" any patient a supplement.  They are not in the business of doing that.  They are in the business of keeping the drug companies rich and happy.

Luckily my doctors, whom I follow, are NOT in the business of keeping the drug companies rich & happy.   Everyone gets off their medication by eating a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet. 😀

Amazing what the power of food can do.🍏🍎🍊🍋🍠🍆🍑

@sidsmom,

If I could "fix" all my health issues by eating the right foods, I would be thrilled!. But unfortunately I have a condition that has caused me to have moderate malabsorption. I'm almost forced to resort to sups in order to get enough nutrients, vitamins and other things so that I can stay healthy. I wish it wasn't this way but it is. I am under doctors care for my illness. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I truly respect Dr Weil, he is  trained in both homeopathic med and traditional medicine.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

People like Weil are nothing more than snake oil salesmen.  They give you this evaluation in order to get you to buy a product.  It is a marketing tool.

In general, you should be wary of anyone telling you that you neef supplements and then offering to sell them to you.  If you feel you need supplements, speak to your own doctor or a registered dietician.

No medical doctor would, off the top of his head, have ever  "just suggested" I take a couple of the supplements I now take thanks to a chance reading on the Wellness forum and my own online research.

I have never been a believer in supplements, ever, of any kind, nor predisposed to believe they would work - I have been, in fact, the opposite.

One of the supplements caused my diabetic neuropathy to VANISH in 48 hrs - and it returns if I stop for 24-48 hrs and stops again when I resume the supplement.

I don't give a **** whether anyone believes me. I'm thrilled to pieces it's gone, and have proved to myself beyond doubt that this supplement IS the reason it's gone.

I'm neither a lover of nor promoter of supplements in general, and feel online reading of professional medical literature is mandatory, but I no longer believe, or say, it's "all snakeoil."

Oh, and I don't GA* what our resident faux "diabetes expert" will inevitably chime in with.

I am so happy that you got some relief. I have had really good results with fish oil and my cholesterol.

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@Moonchilde

Kudos to you for recognizing that a supplement made a difference in your health.  Glad you are feeling better Smiley Happy

And you are correct.  No medical doctor will "prescribe" any patient a supplement.  They are not in the business of doing that.  They are in the business of keeping the drug companies rich and happy.

I was prescribed fish oil and magnesium supplementation after having had a heart attack. I think it is dependent on the physician. Not all are in the business of keeping the drug companies happy. Some really are concerned about their patient's welfare.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great.  Woman Happy

He's been one of my holistic health 'gurus' for many years. 

Make sure you also check out the "Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid" on his website, along with info there re: that healthy diet/lifestyle.

It's also helpful to get on his newsletter's email list.

BTW, he was a botanist prior to becoming an M.D. specializing in integrative medicine.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@SilleeMee

That was fun and informative.  Smiley Happy

I'm spot on with my supps, too.  I am going to check out the supplement he suggests for sleep.  I can fall asleep with no issues, but I have a problem staying asleep.  I usually wake up around 11:30 PM - 12 midnight and have a hard time falling back to sleep.  I only average around 5 hours sleep a night, but I have to admit, I feel energized and fine.  But I would like to actually sleep through an entire night!

Thanks again for the info!  Good stuff!

I have a hard time getting back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night. And you just reminded me @Qshopper1991 that I actually use a breathing technique I had read by Dr. Weil to help get me back to sleep! In fact, I just used it last night.  So there ya go, I DO use Dr. Weil even to this day- and no supplmements needed (yet, lol)!

@HappyDaze

the "4-7-8" ...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because the link allows you to purchase items.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JMHO, but we should all be smart patients by doing thorough research re: the safety and efficacy of whatever natural supplements, RX drugs, and over-the-counter meds that we wish to take or ones that are recommended to us.

And also remember that everyone has their own unique body chemistry.