Esteemed Contributor

I am not that bold. He comes in and has his hand out to shake mine. No doctor ever shook my hand if I can remember.

Honored Contributor

My providers, medical and dental, always wash their hands when they walk in the exam room.   I have absolutely no qualms about asking them to wash their hands.   

I made sure everyone who touched me in the hospital for both knee surgeries washed their hands.   The light is on in the bathroom for every Home Health nurse who touches my husband to wash their hands.  I am very cautious about infection control measures with his dressing change and have asked nurses to even change their gloves.   

The hospital I retired from, as well as all of the hospitals I’ve been in for the last 7 years have signage saying it’s okay to ask your provider to wash their hands.   I absolutely do not have a problem with it.

Respected Contributor

My Drs always wash their hands when I come to see them. I don't think I would ask if I did not see them do this. I trust them to do the right thing.

Honored Contributor

I agree, the hand sanitizer isn’t enough. 

Respected Contributor

Yes you should ,and I keep my eyes peeled to see. Mine even cleans her stethoscope, and It was after she examined my husband, and then me. I was so impressed and happy. Sometimes my Dr. has left several times during our visit and she is touching several door knobs and she still always uses purell after each time.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Mine usually wash theirs in front of me at the sink in the examining room.

Mine too - and then put on gloves as well.

Honored Contributor

I believe they all do.  I know all the rooms have sinks.  I've seen them use the sink.  Can't say for sure if it was both coming and going.