Honored Contributor

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

@hckynut wrote:

@dooBdoo

As you know, I have been around this Bulletin Board for many years. Over those years I have seen it grow from 6 Forums, to, haven't even a clue how many right now. The more Forums-sub-forums that were added, the less I have seen of many I used to see regularly.

I see many threads started in the "Among Friends" and the "Community Chat" forums, that used to be posted on the now named "Wellness Forum". Why? I don't completely agree with what you have said in your post, but I do believe you really think that is possibly for a specific reason.

I personally have not changed my way of thinking when it comes to food choices. My food choices changed in 1975 when I decided to quit all meat sources, including fowl and fish. My reason was specifically because I felt it would be beneficial for my overall health, along with helping get better fuel for my several fitness endeavors. That remains pretty much the same now, 43 years later.

I never espoused my food choices to my friends/family, or anyone else, unless that asked me. When they did I told them my reasons, but never said anything about how that chose to eat, unless again, they specifically asked me.

Not saying I have never said, in pretty plain words, things that some, maybe even many, that visit this forum did not particularly like. Some even suggested that I was "giving medical advice", which I have made quite clear many times over, I am not. Answering questions? Yes. Offering suggestions? Yes, giving advice, nope!

My knowledge was honed decades ago, and the primary thing I learned? Each person's body is unique, a 1 of a kind, and what works for some does not work for others. Health and physical and mental fitness would be simple to understand, and correct, if the same things worked for everyone.

If I am part of the problem, please tell me outright in a way I will understand and see if I can change my way of saying things on this forum that may be the reason some no longer feel comfortable coming here.

I respect you and your opinions and true feelings enough, that I would take heed of whatever you say to or about me to heart, and see if there is something I should work on changing.

I appreciate you expressing your thoughts, along with your experiences on this topic on other forums on this Bulletin Board.

My best yo you,

hckynut(john)

I’m fairly confident you’re not the problem, @hckynut

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

It's not rocket science.....fruits, vegetables. lean proteins,whole grains.....move more, eat less...

Bingo!  I won't lie, for people like me it is not easy and my mind is always looking for reasons to eat a handful of cookies or a dish of icream.  "All things in moderation" works for some but not for somone who once weighed 370lbs.  Staying at my preferred weight is a constant struggle but easier now that I "get it".  Sure, I'm not perfect.  I'm a stress eater and I will always be a stress eater but I'm not losing and re-gaining that same 40lbs anymore.  Now it's 20lbs. because losing weight is quick and easy when I go back to the only thing that works.  Fruits/veggies/lean proteins/whole grains/10 glasses of water a day.  And a wellness group that I attend weekly.  

Congratulations, @chrystaltree!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut   You are one of the kindest and most respectful posters here as far as I am concerned

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut....John, from what I inferred dooBdoo was NOT implying anything you have EVER posted here fits that description.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, John!😊   Goodness, no, I wasn't referring to you.  Not at all -- @hckynut, you're quite the opposite of my comments.  You're always clear to point out that your info is based on your individual, personal needs/results and not one-size-fits-all.  You don't preach or insult others, certainly never engaged in the cruel remarks some of us have seen that push people away from here.  And I've never seen you promote/solicit.   I do know the proselytizing, etc., by others specifically are the reasons some good peeps have moved away from "Wellness" and even from the Community, completely (because they said it was the reason) -- and I know it's my personal reason for rarely posting here now.  But my goodness, please know that you are a gem, my friend, and you are part of the solution, never part of the problem.   We don't aways agree on issues, yet that can be a good thing since all of us who want to learn are aware that we desperately need to read and hear viewpoints that differ from ours.   You are someone I respect and admire, someone who has been generous with insight and knowledge, someone from whom I've learned so very much, and you're one of the reasons some of us do stay here.   When you're not posting, we feel a palpable void and we worry about you, Cindy, and your family of heartbeats.❤️   Thank you for your post, and thank you for your presence, my friend.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

And, "amen" to @tansy's, @cherry's, and @Trinity11's posts!  I appreciate each of you, too!

😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I’ve been on a low carb diet for over 20 years....diabetes is on both sides of my family, so why tempt fate. 

Cheating is inevitable...1/2 a dessert or an extra slice of bread here or there. If a food group is denied, you just sometimes crave it more.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

The constant diet proselytizing on this forum does get old. In my opinion, there is no eating program that is perfect for everyone. 

THis is so very true, and one reason I rarely visit this forum. The food police here don't begin to know as much as they think they do, and the diet shamers who proclaim their way is the only healthy way, do themselves and others coming here for some advice a real disservice. 

Even the medical/scientific community can't decide what is and isn't healthy/harmful/ or acceptable/not acceptable for very long before their 'findings' and 'studies' are refuted and the overturned. 

There most certainly isn't NOT a one size fits all answer for what is the optimal healthy diet. It is going to be different for different people with different issues (or lack of them). 

Well said @Mominohio. There have been many of us, though, that have had powerful discussions about dietary goals. Myself and many of us have made it clear that a one size fits all recommendation on what and how to eat is precarious advice. It has led to some lively, interesting discussions and a lot of experiences have been shared...

Adding my thanks to @feline groovy for always posting interesting, informative food for thought (okay, pun intended!🙃) and also my agreement with  @ Montana@Mominohio, and @Trinity11.   The aggressive, overbearing proselytizing has had a smothering and stifling effect on the "Wellness" sub-forum, in my opinion.   We used to see lots of activity here, with robust and helpful discussions, but that's changed and I think it's a reflection of the one-size-fits-all ubiquitous posts.  Internet "experts" aren't always reliable, nor accurate or safe for our own individual needs, and some are compensated to "shill" and promote certain websites, products, books, videos, etc.    The same smothering and stifling happened in the "Recipes" sub-forum.   And several lovely posters have completely departed, stating this was the specific reason.   I so wish they had stayed and ignored the "noise," yet I can understand why they didn't.

Thank YOU, @dooBdoo.  8)

I always appreciate your thoughtful, well-written posts and replies, and agree with your points above.