Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,237
Registered: ‎03-29-2011

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

[ Edited ]

Cr@p is such a subjective term.  I do not feel (physically) bad when I eat a bag of Cheetos or a pint of Talenti gelato.  I do feel somewhat guilty.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,247
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

I didn't need to read it, I KNOW it.  I don't care for fried food so much, but put some potato chips in front of me....yum...but they have to be fluffy and big one's...I don't like them broken up!

 

I'm very, very picky on my fat food.  If it isn't EXACTLY what I want, I won't eat it.

 

I always say if someone else shopped for me, I'd be pencil thin.

 

It must be a specific brand, etc.  Right now my obsession is...(are you ready)....Tootsie Roll pops.  But only the cherry and orange one's.  I used to buy the bags of mixed and pick them out and give the leftovers to a friend who knew school teachers.

 

Now I buy them specifically by the bags of orange and cherry (some grape).  Eventually, I'll tire of that and move on to another obsession.

 

Why in the heck can't I obsess over something low, low calorie?  Hummm????

 

My daughter obsesses over ice (the thin kind).  She chews it constantly (especially in the summer).  She's been that way since she was a kid.

 

I have to have things very, very (and more very) cold.  When I order iced tea or coke at a restaurant I ask them to bring me an extra glass of just ice to put in the drink

 

I think I'm nuts (some of you would probably agree (reading my posts).  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p


@lulu1 wrote:

Cr@p is such a subjective term.  I do not feel (physically) bad when I eat a bag of Cheetos or a pint of Talenti gelato.  I do feel somewhat guilty.


 

 

@lulu1

 

 

My reply was/is just the opposite. My body is what "minds" when I eat "dodo".  Me? I never let myself feel guilty for what I choose to eat or drink. For me it is how my body responds to my "regular choices" for it's fuel, and "dodo" ingested too often, does not burn well in my body's system.

 

 

 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

[ Edited ]

 

@Annabellethecat66

 

Nuts? That you are not. Set in your ways? Could it be? Only you know that answer. You are never in fear of saying what, or how you feel. Others beat around(you know that rose thing word we can't use here) and at times I haven't a clue how they really feel, or even what they say!

 

That my dear lady is not you!     =^..^=

 

 

 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,247
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

@hckynut Thank you!  Coming from you I consider that to be a compliment...

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

7BC7C90F-AAD0-4B4A-88CE-0A4D051266DD.jpeg

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,739
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

I am scared to death to eat ******. It's not because I wouldn't love  it. I would delight in eating potato chips. I love them, specially Cape Cod brand

 

I let myself have things once in a while, but, I am diabetic, so, I know I don't dare do it, as often as I would love to be able to. I still buy stuff for Mr Cherry, because I feel sorry for him, and don't feel he should give up stuff because I can't eat it

 

I allow myself a few bites of choc  cake, a couple times a month. Mr Cherry and I share a piece when we eat Indian.  It is wonderful. I would love an entire piece all to myself, and if I could , I would

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,240
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p


@fourpaws56 wrote:

It's not rocket science.....fruits, vegetables. lean proteins,whole grains.....move more, eat less...

 

 

Bingo!  I won't lie, for people like me it is not easy and my mind is always looking for reasons to eat a handful of cookies or a dish of icream.  "All things in moderation" works for some but not for somone who once weighed 370lbs.  Staying at my preferred weight is a constant struggle but easier now that I "get it".  Sure, I'm not perfect.  I'm a stress eater and I will always be a stress eater but I'm not losing and re-gaining that same 40lbs anymore.  Now it's 20lbs. because losing weight is quick and easy when I go back to the only thing that works.  Fruits/veggies/lean proteins/whole grains/10 glasses of water a day.  And a wellness group that I attend weekly.  


 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,594
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

The constant diet proselytizing on this forum does get old. In my opinion, there is no eating program that is perfect for everyone. 


 

THis is so very true, and one reason I rarely visit this forum. The food police here don't begin to know as much as they think they do, and the diet shamers who proclaim their way is the only healthy way, do themselves and others coming here for some advice a real disservice. 

 

Even the medical/scientific community can't decide what is and isn't healthy/harmful/ or acceptable/not acceptable for very long before their 'findings' and 'studies' are refuted and the overturned. 

 

There most certainly isn't NOT a one size fits all answer for what is the optimal healthy diet. It is going to be different for different people with different issues (or lack of them). 


Well said @Mominohio. There have been many of us, though, that have had powerful discussions about dietary goals. Myself and many of us have made it clear that a one size fits all recommendation on what and how to eat is precarious advice. It has led to some lively, interesting discussions and a lot of experiences have been shared...


 

            Adding my thanks to @feline groovy for always posting interesting, informative food for thought (okay, pun intended!🙃) and also my agreement with  @ Montana@Mominohio, and @Trinity11.   The aggressive, overbearing proselytizing has had a smothering and stifling effect on the "Wellness" sub-forum, in my opinion.   We used to see lots of activity here, with robust and helpful discussions, but that's changed and I think it's a reflection of the one-size-fits-all ubiquitous posts.  Internet "experts" aren't always reliable, nor accurate or safe for our own individual needs, and some are compensated to "shill" and promote certain websites, products, books, videos, etc.    The same smothering and stifling happened in the "Recipes" sub-forum.   And several lovely posters have completely departed, stating this was the specific reason.   I so wish they had stayed and ignored the "noise," yet I can understand why they didn't.

 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

 

@dooBdoo

 

As you know, I have been around this Bulletin Board for many years. Over those years I have seen it grow from 6 Forums, to, haven't even a clue how many right now. The more Forums-sub-forums that were added, the less I have seen of many I used to see regularly.

 

I see many threads started in the "Among Friends" and the "Community Chat" forums, that used to be posted on the now named "Wellness Forum". Why? I don't completely agree with what you have said in your post, but I do believe you really think that is possibly for a specific reason.

 

I personally have not changed my way of thinking when it comes to food choices. My food choices changed in 1975 when I decided to quit all meat sources, including fowl and fish. My reason was specifically because I felt it would be beneficial for my overall health, along with helping get better fuel for my several fitness endeavors. That remains pretty much the same now, 43 years later.

 

I never espoused my food choices to my friends/family, or anyone else, unless that asked me. When they did I told them my reasons, but never said anything about how that chose to eat, unless again, they specifically asked me.

 

Not saying I have never said, in pretty plain words, things that some, maybe even many, that visit this forum did not particularly like. Some even suggested that I was "giving medical advice", which I have made quite clear many times over, I am not. Answering questions? Yes. Offering suggestions? Yes, giving advice, nope!

 

My knowledge was honed decades ago, and the primary thing I learned? Each person's body is unique, a 1 of a kind, and what works for some does not work for others. Health and physical and mental fitness would be simple to understand, and correct, if the same things worked for everyone.

 

If I am part of the problem, please tell me outright in a way I will understand and see if I can change my way of saying things on this forum that may be the reason some no longer feel comfortable coming here.

 

I respect you and your opinions and true feelings enough, that I would take heed of whatever you say to or about me to heart, and see if there is something I should work on changing.

 

I appreciate you expressing your thoughts, along with your experiences on this topic on other forums on this Bulletin Board.

 

My best yo you,

 

 

 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)