Valued Contributor

Re: Don't feel too bad when you eat cr@p

@hckynut

Did you happen to see this program on PBS called "What the Heck Should I Eat?" with Dr. Hyman?  OMG...I felt so bad about myself!  But, what the heck!  Sorry, I can't eat nothing but grass fed stuff and vegs. and fruit free of all dyes, pesticides and preservatives.  Give me a break!  It sounds good if you have a chef to prepare it all for you!!  I have too many other problems to worry about it now!!

How about you all? 

Watch it if you can...and let me know what you think, k?

Jan

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

The constant diet proselytizing on this forum does get old. In my opinion, there is no eating program that is perfect for everyone. 

THis is so very true, and one reason I rarely visit this forum. The food police here don't begin to know as much as they think they do, and the diet shamers who proclaim their way is the only healthy way, do themselves and others coming here for some advice a real disservice. 

Even the medical/scientific community can't decide what is and isn't healthy/harmful/ or acceptable/not acceptable for very long before their 'findings' and 'studies' are refuted and the overturned. 

There most certainly isn't NOT a one size fits all answer for what is the optimal healthy diet. It is going to be different for different people with different issues (or lack of them). 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

The constant diet proselytizing on this forum does get old. In my opinion, there is no eating program that is perfect for everyone. 

THis is so very true, and one reason I rarely visit this forum. The food police here don't begin to know as much as they think they do, and the diet shamers who proclaim their way is the only healthy way, do themselves and others coming here for some advice a real disservice. 

Even the medical/scientific community can't decide what is and isn't healthy/harmful/ or acceptable/not acceptable for very long before their 'findings' and 'studies' are refuted and the overturned. 

There most certainly isn't NOT a one size fits all answer for what is the optimal healthy diet. It is going to be different for different people with different issues (or lack of them). 

Well said @Mominohio. There have been many of us, though, that have had powerful discussions about dietary goals. Myself and many of us have made it clear that a one size fits all recommendation on what and how to eat is precarious advice. It has led to some lively, interesting discussions and a lot of experiences have been shared...

Honored Contributor

I eat whatever I feel like eating.  No weght or health issues.

I take all these university studies with a very large grain of salt.  

Valued Contributor

I try to eat healthy BUT  when I see a chocolate bar ,,It snickers!.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA My adoptive dad did that. He lived to be 91 and stayed active and very healthy. Lots of gravy, beef, ice cream and hot dogs with sauerkraut. I took care of him at the end of his life and he said it was all genetics. My uncle passed just before he turned 101. Ate exactly the same. My aunt will turn 100 this year. While I sit there eating lettuce she eats her steak sandwich smothered in gravy. 

Respected Contributor

It's not rocket science.....fruits, vegetables. lean proteins,whole grains.....move more, eat less...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA My adoptive dad did that. He lived to be 91 and stayed active and very healthy. Lots of gravy, beef, ice cream and hot dogs with sauerkraut. I took care of him at the end of his life and he said it was all genetics. My uncle passed just before he turned 101. Ate exactly the same. My aunt will turn 100 this year. While I sit there eating lettuce she eats her steak sandwich smothered in gravy. 

@Trinity11

My parents were the same way. My mother was 94 when she died.  My father died a bit younger ... nothing related to diet.  He fell and broke his hip and died in hospital recovery room following surgery.  He was 87.

We always had balanced meals - but no foods or snacks were "forbidden."

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Me too !!!!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Genetics play a major role in this issue!  Eating carefully will not guarantee a long and healthy life.