Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dog in the doctor's office

@151949 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

A service dog vest is not required in California. A merchant may ask someone if their dog is a service dog and if the answer is yes, that ends the conversation.

But if that dog really is a dog who is trained to detect when she is about to have a seizure - it WOULD be a certified service dog and should be wearing a vest.

That's incorrect. The American Disabilities Act states that vests are not required for service animals.   Some people prefer that their animals have vests for various reasons, but Federal Law does not require it.  You may think it should be wearing a vest but our government disagrees with you.

Respected Contributor

Hilarious how the OP runs into all these dogs 

I guess she's never heard or comfort dogs that visit patients in the hospital   Lol

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Waiting for DH at the dermatologist office.Woman comes in with white fluffy dog.Carrying him.There is a sign there no dogs allowed - this is a surgical office. They take her back to the treatment room - with the dog.Never say anything to her. I ask the receptionist. She says we allow the old folks to keep their dogs with them. I say - don't you do minor surgical procedures in those treatment rooms? And you think it's appropriate to allow animals in there?

My DH will be looking for a new dermatologist! One who doesn't let animals in the rooms where they do procedures !!!! Disgusting!!!!!

Regardless what you feel about dogs, this was horribly inappropriate. It is illegal to ask about the need for a service dog whether it be for physical (small dogs can detect seizures or insulin imbalance) or emotional. The receptionist can only ask if it is, in fact, a service dog - NOT why it is needed. For you to ask about a complete stranger was just despicable IMO.

Contributor

Any medical or health facility that allows Animals inside should be Reported to the appropriated agency. - AMA, ACHA, ASHP, Department of Health, etc.

- (It is Disgusting!  Keep your dogs and other animals to yourself!)

Honored Contributor

@RoseT wrote:

Any medical or health facility that allows Animals inside should be Reported to the appropriated agency. - AMA, ACHA, ASHP, Department of Health, etc.

- (It is Disgusting!  Keep your dogs and other animals to yourself!)

LMAO. Google "service animal." 

Your "comment" is just plain wrong legally (and a waste of time, were you to actually DO it, as it would be pretty much ignored). 

Doctors' offices and hospitals are private businesses. So are b&m stores. As long as they violate no sanitation laws (and they do not, just breathing and existing in a room), a business owner can do whatever they like as far as animals on the premises. Because, you know...their business. Not the public's.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I know this is a bit off topic, but my DH is ill and was in the hospital a few months ago. He loves dogs. A therapy dog was brought into his room to say "hello" and it was so nice to see a smile on DH's face when he was able to pet the dog.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

My doctor keeps a dog at his office. There used to be two dogs: "Big Dog" and "Son of Big Dog." Big Dog has since passed so only Son of Big Dog is there now.

My observation whilst sitting in the waiting area was that everyone wanted to either pet the dog, play with dog, coax the dog to come say 'hello', or have some interaction with him - including me!

There is a dog bed off to the side and I never saw either dog go into the exam rooms.

Trusted Contributor

They allow people to bring in dogs AND birds into hospice places where people are on oxygen.

They know that the presence of pets is important for those who are in hospice care.

Honored Contributor

I definitely would choose a doctor who has a dog in his office over one that doesn't - even if I had to travel farther.  I would know that doctor is a compassionate caring person and I would trust that doctor. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people have poor hygiene, smell like smoke, wear strong perfume and have BO and come to a Dr. office. I know I sometimes have dog hair on my clothes from my furry friend. I find a new Dr. office when I don't like what I see.