Valued Contributor

Does the Theraband Flexbar really help tennis elbow?

I'm thinking about buying this to help with tennis elbow, but first wanted to check and see if using this has actually helped any of you who have this condition. I thought about getting this once before when I had tennis elbow in my left arm but ended up not doing so. That arm slowly got better, but now my right arm has this and is much worse than the left one ever was. So, I am now seriously considering getting this but would like to hear opinions please. Oh, and yes, I have seen my doctor about my arm. She gave me some exercises to try, but they don't seem to be helping. Thanks for advice on this.

Respected Contributor

Re: Does the Theraband Flexbar really help tennis elbow?

@qualityshopper

I was tempted to try that gizmo also, never did though. Somehow, in a couple months, it healed and hasn't bothered me at all since. I hope you get relief soon, it's a painful condition.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper My husband had one of these he got when doing PT for his elbow several years ago.  I just looked at the box and it is the Theraband Flexbar (a red one that says beginner).  It used to crack me up watching him use it (he looked so funny when he would shake it or whatever the exercise was). :-)

It definitely helped his elbow,  Now he is having different elbow issues and is doing exercises with a hammer...  Literally.  Interesting what they come up with when he goes to PT.

Valued Contributor

Thanks @ceekay and @Azcowgirl for responding. Not sure if it will help, but I think I'll go ahead and try one. Found out that Walmart has them, so might get it there. That way, if it doesn't help, it will be easy to return.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Be cautious, @qualityshopper. It would depend on what stage your tennis elbow is.

I had epicondylitis, bowler's thumb and carpal tunnel periodically throughout my working life (my profession gave it to me) and had both PT and acupuncture many times. I spent a lot of time (including nights) in a variety of braces.

In acute, painful phases something like that could make things a lot worse. I'd ask my doctor or the physical therapist if I was "recovered" enough to do preventive on my own.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper, I had tennis elbow a few months ago.  My doctor gave me a cortisone shot and I iced it and wore a brace for a few days.  I don't know what happened but it was gone a few days later.  The dr. Said cortisone works for some and not others.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

My elbow hurt for quite some time but I never knew if it was arthritis or what since I never went to the doctor. I used a TENS unit which made it feel better. The pain finally went away. I could hardly bend it.

I bought Penetrex at Wal-Mart which is good for inflammation. It says it works for tennis elbow if you want to check it out. It says it does not mask the pain but aids in the healing process. I'm using it right now for postherpetic neuralgia along with a few more things. It does seem to be helping. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@qualityshopper My husband had one of these he got when doing PT for his elbow several years ago.  I just looked at the box and it is the Theraband Flexbar (a red one that says beginner).  It used to crack me up watching him use it (he looked so funny when he would shake it or whatever the exercise was). :-)

It definitely helped his elbow,  Now he is having different elbow issues and is doing exercises with a hammer...  Literally.  Interesting what they come up with when he goes to PT.

@ceekay

@qualityshopper

Here's the deal about "Theraband:"   Yellow is the beginner, followed by orange, followed by ree, green, blue, black.  So...red is not a beginner level color.

Also, if a patient is actively suffering from tennis elbow - tendonitis - that patient should seek the advice of a physician prior to using any such gizmo.

Valued Contributor

@qualityshopper - Interesting as I am looking at the box right now.  It clearly says Level 1 - beginner on it.  It is several years old, maybe they have changed their color pyramid.  I was only answering the initial question about experiences using it - at the time for what was wrong with my husband's elbow, it worked.  He still uses it occasionally.  Thanks for the updated information and clarification.