Honored Contributor

Re: Does reading a food package ingredient/ info label make you decide to buy or not?

It's really important to read how many servings per package, because the percentages are based on one serving. It can be a real eye opener , especially sodium content.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Does reading a food package ingredient/ info label make you decide to buy or not?

Canned soups are especially high in sodium ( the ones not free of sodium, which there are a few) and high in a lot of additives....nothing like good yummy  homemade soups!

Honored Contributor

There are times I practically subsist on Campbell's chunky Chicken Corn Chowder.  Love the taste and it comes in a heart healthy version.  Not high in calories and it fills me up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No, I'm not the type who treats a grocery store like it's a library.  Now that you mention it, I don't eat a lot of packaged foods and I do read the labels either at the store or before order online.  But I look for the things that matter most to me; fat, calories, sodium, sugar.  When I find something I like, I stick with it so, of course, I don't have to read the label every single time I buy it.  I don't know "most consumers" so don't what they look at or what they don't look at.  I do know that people who buy lots of packaged and prepared foods and who shop for a family don't have the time to devote to indepth reading of labels.  It's too time consuming.  They do the best they can.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

With all the info available in this era, if a person is sincerely interested in what they eat and drink?  Most have internet access, and if in doubt, check with a Nutritionist. Even easier is to go with less pre-packaged food and more in it's natural form.

I get all the nutrition I need for my body to function at a very high physical level, and am never concerned about keeping my weight exactly where I want it. What and how I eat I would not even think of wanting anyone else to follow my eating program.

I know exactly what I am eating and drinking, and the amounts of both. Calories? Have never counted them! My aim for decades is to supply my body with the fuels that work best for it, and those things have changed many times over that period of time.

Right now my primary source is complex carbohydrates, then protein, and very little of any type of fat. If my body changes, I will work to find out what works, and for how long.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Very rare that I try and buy anything in a box but when I see something new that looks somewhat natural, I check the ingredients. Any type of unnatural sugar or most oils, it goes back on the shelf.
Honored Contributor

Yes! It takes me so long to grocery shop! I have to first find out where its made, then the sugar, fat, sodium content. I've even trained my hubby now that he's retired and shops with me. With two of us inspecting every article we put in our cart, we're out of there in no time!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

yes I read all labels; sodium is my concern and if I can't pronounce some ing, I don't buy. but I don't use package, box stuff anyway and haven't for many years. I buy fresh or frozen, trying hard to eat only organic foods. and cook from scratch. but I do take advantage of the fresh things that are already chopped as my hands are not great at that. So many things that you have no idea why they are used in this boxed stuff---to make theem last for years prob and to me, they taste weird---and so very pricey.

Honored Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

If it says sugar free I put it back.  I find all the sugar substitutes - even the plant based ones nasty.