Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use diatomaceous earth?

Make sure you get FOOD grade if you plan to consume it. 

Honored Contributor

I've only used in the garden when slugs are a problem.  It's not good for their health, I can tell you that.

Trusted Contributor

According to one article that I read when you eat it, very little is actually absorbed into the body and the remainder is quickly excreted.  It sounds to me like it is the lastest "fad" item that claims to have a zillion benefits but without credible independent studies to back up those claims.   In one study, mice who were forced to breath it for one hour a day for a year, had an increase in lung cancer (I know most of this kind of study includes amounts no person would "ingest" under normal circumstances).

I won't be buying any based on what I've read. 

Honored Contributor

If you are curious and/or interested in DE I highly recommend doing a n Internet search on the subject ("food grade diatomaceous earth") and spending some time reading about the benefits before making a decision about it. It is interesting to read about.

With different grades out there it is very easy to read a statement about one grade & think it applies to all grades. 

It is true that the human body absorbs only a very small amount of DE consumed. Not coincidentally, the tiny bit that is absorbed can bring a lot of benefits. 

Contributor

All I know is it's GREAT if you have an infestation of fleas in your house...doesn't hurt the animals and kills the fleas quickly and easily.  Just spread around then after a few days vacuum up.

Honored Contributor

@dapooh1 wrote:

All I know is it's GREAT if you have an infestation of fleas in your house...doesn't hurt the animals and kills the fleas quickly and easily.  Just spread around then after a few days vacuum up.

I don't have pets - or fleas - but I am curious. Doesn't spreading it around on the floor make a mess? Doesn't it get all over feet and get spread all over? 

Trusted Contributor

Wow thanks for posting. I'm interested in the potential health benefits, particularly as to bone health. I'll see if my organic coop has the food grade DO this weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

So, if I went to my health food store and bought some DE, how do I integrate it into my life? Eat it? 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@dapooh1 wrote:

I read somewhere that it will potentially clog and ruin a vacuum cleaner so consider that before spreading it where you intend to vacuum.  If it's 89% silica, that's sand.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

So, if I went to my health food store and bought some DE, how do I integrate it into my life? Eat it? 

The only way I can recall is to add it to water & drink it. It is very fine but it doesn't dilute so one needs to drink it up quickly before it settles at the bottom of the glass. I think there are probably some blog posts somewhere talking about how to use it & how much to use. I haven't researched DE in a long time or I might know a site to recommend. 

Usually, it is suggested to drink it first thing in the morning. I think some suggest twice per day or even 3 times per day eventually. You start with a small amount and slowly increase. 

It doesn't really have much taste but it is not something one wants to enjoy drinking slowly. Probably tastes kind of like dirt. lol...