Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone use diatomaceous earth?

@Nightowlz wrote:

@depglass wrote:

We use it to get rid of ladybugs.  It supposedly cuts up their stomaches and they die.  Hardly think I'd like to try it, I've also been advised not to breathe it in.

Why are you using it on ladybugs? Those are beneficial to your garden at getting rid up some unwanted pests. 

Oh I'm sad too...I love ladybugs...couldn't imagine hurting them!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Occasional Contributor

After reading these posts and doing a little research on Google, I have ordered food-grade diatomaceous earth and am really looking forward to giving it a try! 

Respected Contributor

How interesting.

My initial research for topics such as this goes immediately to "side effects". In my very brief research in the past few minutes, individuals have reported stomach (i.e., digestive) issues requiring a probiotic.  The inhalation issue is potentially extremely serious, so take care if you are using this stuff.  I would probably wear a mask while preparing.

Several sites said that DE "appears to be safe for human consumption", but stressed that scientific studies have not been done.

"It should be noted that diatomaceous earth is not actually approved for human consumption. This is mainly due to the lack of clinical studies that support its’ safety. The few studies available do hint that diatomaceous earth is safe for human consumption, but the FDA still has not the already existing GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status to include human consumption as well." http://diatomaceousearth.co/side-effects-of-diatomaceous-earth/

Since my body tends to be hypersensitive in many instances, I'd have to research more, or wait for more scientific info to come out.  But thanks very much for sharing!