Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use a respirator when using chemicals to clean the bathroom or any other room in the house?

I push my husband and daughters to wear a mask when they are around dust and chemicals, due to COPD and asthma issues. My husband spread lime last week, and also sprayed around the outside of the house for spiders, while wearing his mask. I do not use a lot of chemicals inside the house, but always ventilate well if I do. You can never be too careful; chemical burns to the lungs can easily happen, and can be deadly.
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone use a respirator when using chemicals to clean the bathroom or any other room in the house?

On 9/22/2014 chickenbutt said:

I don't have access to anything like that but, due to extreme breathing problems, I have to be careful what I use. The cleaning lady uses most of the chemical-type stuff so I try to stay in another part of the house and I have the bird in his bedroom with his door closed.

I've tried using those pollen masks but I feel like I'm going to suffocate so I don't last long.

BTW, Found, I hope the smoke from the fires isn't heavy down there. Up here it's truly brutal! I hope they get it under control soon.

Hi CB....terrible fire that's for sure but no, we haven't gotten smoke from it. Sorry to hear you're affected.

Honored Contributor

Those mini-steam cleaners are probably the best./safest. I occasionally (once or twice a year) use hydrogen peroxide (liquid) in a spray bottle, spray the shower/grout, let sit 1/2 hour, (it will bubble up, killing any mold/mildew) then rinse off. Always wear eye protective goggles when using sprays of any kind.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I only use a steam cleaner and water.

Problem solved!

Esteemed Contributor

A dust mask is for dust and particulates, not chemicals.

If you want to truly protect yourself from chemicals, you would use a self contained respirator or a half mask with specific cartridges.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.