Occasional Contributor

Does anyone use a Vitamix in their weight loss journey?

I just ordered one and I am almost afraid to use it! {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I would like to lose those last ten pounds and was looking for healthy smoothie recipes that aren't too high calorie. I've checked out YouTube, but thought I would ask here for some tried and true favorites.

Does any one have any recipes?

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone use a Vitamix in their weight loss journey?

I used my Vitamix to minimize muscle loss during chemo. I would suggest trying smoothies as a meal replacement. Keep the green leafy vegetables as the highest percentage of ingredients, then protein sources, (dairy or nondairy milk, beans, protein powder, etc.) then whole grains. Remember that many fruits and some vegetables have a high glycemic index= sugar, and will elevate blood glucose levels. Use organic, raw ingredients for the best results. Experiment with the temperature of your smoothie. You may find that icy cold ones are more filling than warm ones, or vice versa. I also add some anti oxidant/ anti inflammatory ingredients such as turmeric, cocoa, ginger, celery etc. Good luck!

Super Contributor

I use my Vitamix daily for my breakfast smoothie. I use frozen fruit, flaxseed(freshly ground), coconut milk, whey protein unflavored, cinnamon, cocoa, honey (small amount) sometimes coconut oil. The fruit provides a lot of natural sweet flavor as I really limit sugar and even the honey. I use lots of berries for the anti-oxidants. I have lost weight and managed to hold it down for close to a year. I don't eat high carb foods, corn or breads, try to select low glycemic , and do not eat after 8:00pm and many nights earlier. High protein low carb dinner and lunch I will have things that I wouldn't for dinner, like sweet potatoes, beans, those which are a little higher carb. I really love my Vitamix...and I was a little daunted by it at first, but it is a wonderful machine.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There's lots of smoothie recipes on the internet for weight loss - some even show the calorie content.....be careful because smoothies can be very high in calories if your not careful of what you put in it.....to keep the calorie contect low you need to limit how much fruit is used and also use low cal milk like unsweetened almond milk in place of other milk.

For breakfast I make a smoothie with:

1/2 cup almond milk

1/2 banana

1/2 cup frozen strawberries

scoop of flaxseed

scoop of protein powder

scoop of PB2 (instead of using real peanut butter)

I also prepare the ingredients (minus the milk) ahead of time and freeze in little baggies so all I have to do each morning is pour in the milk and empty the baggy of ingredients - and blend.

Love my Vitamix!!!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your replies! I am going to try to make a green protein smoothie (with a bit of fruit, but not too much!) for breakfast tomorrow. My main reason for taking the plunge and buying the Vitamix is because I want to try to get more greens in my diet. I can only eat so many salads!

Super Contributor

I bought the book The 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse. It seems kinda gimmicky, but I will read it tomorrow and try it out. If nothing else it has a lot of recipes.

Occasional Contributor

Oh my gosh, PalmTree...I just saw that book on Amazon's site and was considering buying it.

Could you please post if you like it, as you go through and make a few things?

Thanks again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 LillyPickle said:

Oh my gosh, PalmTree...I just saw that book on Amazon's site and was considering buying it.

Could you please post if you like it, as you go through and make a few things?

Thanks again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Sure will Lilly!