Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

Your negative attitude is less than helpful. BTW, not every medicine includes such dangerous side effects as potential death or gangrene. You may want to read the NIH information on the url that I provided before you continue to advocate for this drug.

Trusted Contributor

God bless you and guide you as you make your decision, MKR NY.

Respected Contributor

Here is what I decided. The doctor said I would have a 66% of a stroke with no blood thinner medicine. I am going on Aspirin 81mg once a day and that will reduce having a stroke by 25%. That gets me to 41% odds. I have a new script for Flecainide (for A-Fib) called ""A Pill in a Pocket"". I will only be on it if my A-Fib lasts more than an hour. It has a side of effect of vision problems. That is why I opted to NOT be on it every day but have it available if I have trouble and then immediately see my heart doctor. My husband and I had a long talk with the Dr. about A-Fib and the reason I also have a racing heartbeat. The A-Fib is an irregular heartbeat and that also causes the rapid heartbeat. I understand more as I came with a list of questions. Two problems and how I have them.

The doctor said I may have to take a blood thinner in the future and I expressed my concern regarding no reversal drugs. He said the drug companies are working on a reversal drug for all of the blood thinners. He said Xarelto is out of your system in 14 hours. He was impressed at my knowledge and I said I wanted the best informed plan for me. I will try and see if I can maintain this. He also mentioned ablation surgery but I would be on a blood thinner for three months afterwards. As of now this is my plan. Many thanks to all that gave me their opinions as I listened to them all.

Occasional Contributor

I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago, also have acid reflux. I was given xarelto? , morning after surgery, had a bleeding episode and then two units of blood to replace what I lost. Now am recovering but without any blood thinner.
Respected Contributor

On 12/1/2014 MKR NY said:

Here is what I decided. The doctor said I would have a 66% of a stroke with no blood thinner medicine. I am going on Aspirin 81mg once a day and that will reduce having a stroke by 25%. That gets me to 41% odds. I have a new script for Flecainide (for A-Fib) called "A Pill in a Pocket". I will only be on it if my A-Fib lasts more than an hour. It has a side of effect of vision problems. That is why I opted to NOT be on it every day but have it available if I have trouble and then immediately see my heart doctor. My husband and I had a long talk with the Dr. about A-Fib and the reason I also have a racing heartbeat. The A-Fib is an irregular heartbeat and that also causes the rapid heartbeat. I understand more as I came with a list of questions. Two problems and how I have them.

The doctor said I may have to take a blood thinner in the future and I expressed my concern regarding no reversal drugs. He said the drug companies are working on a reversal drug for all of the blood thinners. He said Xarelto is out of your system in 14 hours. He was impressed at my knowledge and I said I wanted the best informed plan for me. I will try and see if I can maintain this. He also mentioned ablation surgery but I would be on a blood thinner for three months afterwards. As of now this is my plan. Many thanks to all that gave me their opinions as I listened to them all.

Sounds like a good plan. In 2008 when I was diagnosed with PVC's (premature ventricular contractions or heart fluttering), I was started on Flecainide. It worked wonders with absolutely no side effects. However, last year about this time, the PVC's came back. After all the usual cardiac testing, it was determined the Flecainide was no longer effective. I was switched to Metoprolol instead of Amlopidine and Flecainide. That did the trick.

Of note is that when I woke up this morning there was a huge blood spot on the top sheet. I can only assume I had a nose bleed. I am seriously considering stopping the Xarelto and just using the aspirin. I will call the cardiologist today.

Esteemed Contributor

I have A-Fib and take Multaq to help regulate the heart rate and also Xarelto to thin the blood and help prevent strokes. I have taken them for a year and a half with minor bruising. The advantage of Xarelto is that you do not have to change your diet or have frequent blood testing. Any blood thinner carries a risk and what works well for one may not work for another. Since being on these two drugs, I rarely have an episode of A-Fib.

For those who don't know how A-Fib contributes to the five times increased risk of a stroke it is because the atria or upper chambers of the heart beat si fast that they do not have the force necessary to push all the blood into the lower chambers of the heart. As a result, some of the blood may pool in the atria. This can lead to a clot being formed which then can be pumped into the ventricles or lower chambers where they will pump it out into the body. As a result, blood thinner is used to make it easier for the blood to flow from one chamber of the heart to another and then out into the body with a reduction in the risk of clots.

The cardiologist spelled out the risks and what to do should unusual bleeding start occurring. I have a great cardiologist. I can call with a question and his nurse will give me the information or if I am not at home, leave it on my voice mail on the same day I place the call. Never discontinue any med without consulting the doctor.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.