Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I have been diagnosed with irregular heartbeat and A-Fib not caused by a heart disease. My father died of a heart attack and my two brothers have had open heart surgeries twice. My cardiologist recently put my on Bystolic and my blood pressure and pulse is now in the normal range. He gave me Xarelto but I didn't take it as I forgot to let him know I have a bladder microscopic bleed for many years. I also have a history of kidney stones. I have been reading about side effects on Xarelto. My PCP said I may have to weigh the possibility of a stroke (I am 5 times higher for a stroke and it would be a bad one without the medicine) per my heart doctor. I have multiple episodes of A-Fib daily and a rapid heartbeat.

If I do go on it I would appreciate your experiences. We have a prescription drug book so we always read the side effects before taking anything. I have pancreatitis and acid reflux also.

I guess the golden years are not so golden only for the Dr's. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

I was supposed to take this drug for 10 days after each of my knee surgeries - I took it after the first surgery and had a fall walking into the BR - there was a little water on the floor - the walker rolled out and I fell hard - went to the ER had the hugest purplest bruise on my hip and another on my shin -( also fractured my tibia - small crack and had to have the leg in a cast for 6 weeks. ) Then for the second knee they gave me the xeralto even though the knee had been bleeding in the OR and I had to get 2 units of blood. The next morning it was really pumping blood out of the incision. So that was the end of taking any blood thinners for that knee.Generally, I thought it was a bit too strong for my needs - to prevent any possibility of a blood clot post op.

I think before I would choose xeralto over coumadin I would discuss with the pharmacist and the doctor the pros and cons of each drug. Clearly, you have no choice , you have to be on one or the other.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

I posted on this last month. I too was diagnosed with A-fib in September. My dad has it as well. He has been on Xarelto for 2 years now with no problem. In fact, he had a minor stroke last January. I also have a problem with having too much calcium thus, kidney stones twice a year. 6 weeks after starting Xeralto I urinated the brightest red blood but no symptoms of a stone. The next day, same thing. I went to the E.R. After the usual tests and scans, the E.R. doc told me stop the Xeralrto. The next day I had a kidney stone. I called my cardiologist. He said to restart it. I had to think long and hard. I decided to trust my cardiologist. I have had 2 bruises since being on it but they were small. I am more concerned about controlling the A-fib and am comfortable with my decision. Oh, the medicine that was prescribed to control my calcium - my insurance won't dispense as it is considered a specialty drug given specifically to dialysis patients. Even a regular pharmacy could not get the Endocrine doctor to fill out the paperwork for it and HE prescribed it for me when he saw me in the hospital. Kidney stones are the worst!
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

Happy housewife Sorry about your experience. I hope your knees are better and you are feeling better. It is scary with what blood thinner side effects can do but I believe unless I am a candidate for the ablation surgery it will be my only option. I see my heart doctor on Monday. Thanks for taking the time to answer. There is a new drug Eliquis and I will discuss this with the doctor also. Gooday I have had kidney stones twice and I also had the brightest red urine and pain. I will have to weigh if it will be a high risk danger for stroke. I never struggle as much making a medical decision but this is a rough one. Hopefully I will get an answer Monday. Thanks for answering.
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,326
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

My 95 year old mother is on Xarelto for afib. Any blood thinner is going to result in more bruising. I believe that Xarelto has been proven to prevent stroke moreso than Coumadin. Also, with Coumadin, you need blood work done something like weekly to monitor levels whereas with Xarelto, you don't need levels checked. I might also get an opinion from a neurologist.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

On 11/29/2014 MKR NY said: Happy housewife Sorry about your experience. I hope your knees are better and you are feeling better. It is scary with what blood thinner side effects can do but I believe unless I am a candidate for the ablation surgery it will be my only option. I see my heart doctor on Monday. Thanks for taking the time to answer. There is a new drug Eliquis and I will discuss this with the doctor also. Gooday I have had kidney stones twice and I also had the brightest red urine and pain. I will have to weigh if it will be a high risk danger for stroke. I never struggle as much making a medical decision but this is a rough one. Hopefully I will get an answer Monday. Thanks for answering.
I do believe Eliquis and Xeralrto are basically the same. And...just because you have the ablation done, does not guarantee an arrhythmia will not recur. Tough decision.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,954
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

On 11/29/2014 Gooday said: I posted on this last month. I too was diagnosed with A-fib in September. My dad has it as well. He has been on Xarelto for 2 years now with no problem. In fact, he had a minor stroke last January. I also have a problem with having too much calcium thus, kidney stones twice a year. 6 weeks after starting Xeralto I urinated the brightest red blood but no symptoms of a stone. The next day, same thing. I went to the E.R. After the usual tests and scans, the E.R. doc told me stop the Xeralrto. The next day I had a kidney stone. I called my cardiologist. He said to restart it. I had to think long and hard. I decided to trust my cardiologist. I have had 2 bruises since being on it but they were small. I am more concerned about controlling the A-fib and am comfortable with my decision. Oh, the medicine that was prescribed to control my calcium - my insurance won't dispense as it is considered a specialty drug given specifically to dialysis patients. Even a regular pharmacy could not get the Endocrine doctor to fill out the paperwork for it and HE prescribed it for me when he saw me in the hospital. Kidney stones are the worst!

Xarelto can lead to excessive bleeding, just like Coumadin.

My aunt was on blood thinners for a-fib and died suddenly in her sleep from a stroke. It may lessen your chances of getting a stroke, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,113
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

My husband takes xarelto. About two years ago he had two unexplained blood clots in his lung. Had loads of tests and can find no reason why they occurred.His Dr wants him to come off the xarelto soon though. Makes me nervous that he'll have another clot. He hasn't had any issues with the medication.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

On 11/29/2014 terrier3 said:
On 11/29/2014 Gooday said: I posted on this last month. I too was diagnosed with A-fib in September. My dad has it as well. He has been on Xarelto for 2 years now with no problem. In fact, he had a minor stroke last January. I also have a problem with having too much calcium thus, kidney stones twice a year. 6 weeks after starting Xeralto I urinated the brightest red blood but no symptoms of a stone. The next day, same thing. I went to the E.R. After the usual tests and scans, the E.R. doc told me stop the Xeralrto. The next day I had a kidney stone. I called my cardiologist. He said to restart it. I had to think long and hard. I decided to trust my cardiologist. I have had 2 bruises since being on it but they were small. I am more concerned about controlling the A-fib and am comfortable with my decision. Oh, the medicine that was prescribed to control my calcium - my insurance won't dispense as it is considered a specialty drug given specifically to dialysis patients. Even a regular pharmacy could not get the Endocrine doctor to fill out the paperwork for it and HE prescribed it for me when he saw me in the hospital. Kidney stones are the worst!

Xarelto can lead to excessive bleeding, just like Coumadin.

My aunt was on blood thinners for a-fib and died suddenly in her sleep from a stroke. It may lessen your chances of getting a stroke, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Oh, no argument there. In fact, my dad had a minor stroke in January of this year from which he had minimal damage affecting his ability to do simple arithmetic. His initial symptom was that he knew what he wanted to say but could not get the words out. I knew immediately what was happening and thank goodness he was staying with us.

Three weeks ago he lost the sight in his left eye. Of course, he waited two weeks to go to the ophthalmologist. She said that he had a small stroke in the back of the eye compromising the blood flow to the retina. We are awaiting the results of his carotid Doppler study. That showed a 60% blockage on one side and 40% on the other. That was back in January. I don't know what the next step will be if has increased. He is 86 years old so....

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,357
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Does anyone take Xarelto?

On 11/29/2014 Lynneuk said: My husband takes xarelto. About two years ago he had two unexplained blood clots in his lung. Had loads of tests and can find no reason why they occurred.His Dr wants him to come off the xarelto soon though. Makes me nervous that he'll have another clot. He hasn't had any issues with the medication.

Therein lies the double edged sword theory. i.e., had he NOT been on the Xarelto, would the clots traveled up causing a stroke? Or.....is Xarelto non-effective, or.....does it cause clotting?

Hmmmmm.... that's what makes it risky and a personal decision. The E.R. doctor told me get off it. I stayed off it for a week and my cardiologist convinced me to stay on it. It's confusing. I know I don't like being in A-fib and since I have been taking the Xarelto I had to appts. and EKG and I was back in normal sinus rhythm.