Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone take Anastrozole for breast cancer?

@jpie wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

What are your side effects? I've been on it for a year and my skin, eyes, hair, everything is SO dry. I also have joint pain daily, which I try to counteract with exercise, especially weight training.

I can't imagine being on this for another 6 years.

--------------------

Hi, @JamandBread . I just recently (Feb. 2021) had a double mastectomy. Stage 1 ER+ PR+  Her2-. I had a screening mammogram, two diagnostic mammograms, and finally a 4th diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound within a 12 month period of time (Dec. 2019-Dec. 2020). I found and felt a lump and this is the only reason I had the 4th one done. Boom..........finally found it through my very dense tissue. 

I am awaiting autologous 4-flap (DIEP and TUG) reconstruction. The date of surgery is Sept. 24. Nine hour surgery with a three night hospital visit. 

I have been on Anastrozole for several months. I read on the Quora health forum that 3 of 10 women stop this drug therapy because of the side effects.

My oncologist really minimized the side effects. I am experiencing extreme fatigue, and increased joint pain/arthritis (especially in my knee joints and hands). My muscle are also affected along with the joints. Dry skin and thinning hair seem to be something I am dealing with as well.

Anastrozole acts like a sponge to eliminate estrogen throughout the entire body. Since I can no longer get testosterone therapy (it can be converted to estrogen), I get long rounds of migraines that can last at least three or more days. 

I have been weight training for 29 years. I also do a considerable amount of cardiovascular work. The plastic surgeon said that because of my healthy lifestyle I would be an excellent candidate for 4-flap reconstruction. I wanted to avoid getting silicone or saline implants.

I am right there with you as far as dealing with the daily effects of this aromatase inhibitor.  I will stick with it for the five years because I like the odds of decreased cancer reoccurrence!

I wish you well. You are not alone!!  Smiley Wink

We had the same type of cancer. I opted for reconstruction with expanded first and then implants. No problems whatsoever with that. These meds, tho 😵😡

Good luck with your DIEP! I hope you have a quick recovery and LOVE the results!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone take Anastrozole for breast cancer?

@aoldgirl wrote:

It has been 8 years with no statins and no anastrozole.  and no reoccurance, so far.  I know the chances, and I accept them.  My mom, samething, we both had mastectomies.  the year before the b/c was a massive heart attack.  so I watch and keep every dr.'s appt.  

Holding in you in my thoughts for another 80 years of no recurrence!!!