Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone take Anastrozole for breast cancer?

Yes I tried it for about 6 months, since Jan of this year and had some pretty gnarly side effects mostly bad joint and muscle pains that would wake me up during the night----was taking tamoxifen but found a thickening of the uterine wall, had d/c and then switched to arimidex---but my quality of life was hugely impacted from the side effects so my dr put me back on tamox--only have until Jan of 2023 and I will be able to stop any meds--that will be 10 years from dx for breast cancer. I am 67 so SHOULD be on that class of drugs but just can't tolerate the side effects.

Valued Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

What are your side effects? I've been on it for a year and my skin, eyes, hair, everything is SO dry. I also have joint pain daily, which I try to counteract with exercise, especially weight training.

I can't imagine being on this for another 6 years.

Hello!

I've been on Anastrozole for seven weeks.  My side effects are similar to yours but, I've also noticed more hair thinning and fatigue.  I am tolerating the med since I had joint pain previously and walk every morning.  I feel so blessed to be able to walk!  I do need to add some weight bearing exercises. 

I worry about my cardiovascular health as that is a "silent" side effect. 

My best to you and all the sisters in this "club."

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been 8 years with no statins and no anastrozole.  and no reoccurance, so far.  I know the chances, and I accept them.  My mom, samething, we both had mastectomies.  the year before the b/c was a massive heart attack.  so I watch and keep every dr.'s appt.  

Respected Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

What are your side effects? I've been on it for a year and my skin, eyes, hair, everything is SO dry. I also have joint pain daily, which I try to counteract with exercise, especially weight training.

I can't imagine being on this for another 6 years.

--------------------

Hi, @JamandBread . I just recently (Feb. 2021) had a double mastectomy. Stage 1 ER+ PR+  Her2-. I had a screening mammogram, two diagnostic mammograms, and finally a 4th diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound within a 12 month period of time (Dec. 2019-Dec. 2020). I found and felt a lump and this is the only reason I had the 4th one done. Boom..........finally found it through my very dense tissue. 

I am awaiting autologous 4-flap (DIEP and TUG) reconstruction. The date of surgery is Sept. 24. Nine hour surgery with a three night hospital visit. 

I have been on Anastrozole for several months. I read on the Quora health forum that 3 of 10 women stop this drug therapy because of the side effects.

My oncologist really minimized the side effects. I am experiencing extreme fatigue, and increased joint pain/arthritis (especially in my knee joints and hands). My muscle are also affected along with the joints. Dry skin and thinning hair seem to be something I am dealing with as well.

Anastrozole acts like a sponge to eliminate estrogen throughout the entire body. Since I can no longer get testosterone therapy (it can be converted to estrogen), I get long rounds of migraines that can last at least three or more days. 

I have been weight training for 29 years. I also do a considerable amount of cardiovascular work. The plastic surgeon said that because of my healthy lifestyle I would be an excellent candidate for 4-flap reconstruction. I wanted to avoid getting silicone or saline implants.

I am right there with you as far as dealing with the daily effects of this aromatase inhibitor.  I will stick with it for the five years because I like the odds of decreased cancer reoccurrence!

I wish you well. You are not alone!!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

Yes, my oncologist made me very aware. Not asking for advice- I knew what I was getting into. Just asking if anyone else takes it/took it and experienced similar side effects. 😊😊

There is nothing wrong coming here to ask for others experiences.  The doctor most likely never had breast cancer nor took this drug.  When my DH had cancer, we found that blogs were a great source of information and comfort.  I hope someone here can share their experience with you.

Forget the nay sayers.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I take a pill called letrozel for breat cancer.i have been on this pill for 5yrs,and can take up to 10 yrs.no problems at all

Honored Contributor

I did take Anastrozole for about  a year. I had lots of trouble with my knee. So the Doctor changed my prescription to Tamoxifen. Have been on that ever since.

I no longer have any pain in my knee or any other joint. So I am so glad that the Doctor switched my medication.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I did take Anastrozole for about  a year. I had lots of trouble with my knee. So the Doctor changed my prescription to Tamoxifen. Have been on that ever since.

I no longer have any pain in my knee or any other joint. So I am so glad that the Doctor switched my medication.

Glad the Tamoxifen is working for you! I got switched from that to Anastrozole. Both give me joint pain, but I guess its better than cancer recurrence 😬

Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I take a pill called letrozel for breat cancer.i have been on this pill for 5yrs,and can take up to 10 yrs.no problems at all

I believe the anastrozole is a generic of letrozole. You are so lucky to have had no problems!

Go you!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

Yes, my oncologist made me very aware. Not asking for advice- I knew what I was getting into. Just asking if anyone else takes it/took it and experienced similar side effects. 😊😊

There is nothing wrong coming here to ask for others experiences.  The doctor most likely never had breast cancer nor took this drug.  When my DH had cancer, we found that blogs were a great source of information and comfort.  I hope someone here can share their experience with you.

Forget the nay sayers.  

Thank you! I appreciate the support. I hope your DH is cancer free! 🙏