Honored Contributor

Does anyone not carry medical insurance?

For those of you not eligible for Medicare yet, anyone do regular wellness visits and pay as you go?

I came home to a letter that my insurance company and my doctor are fighting with one another again and I will have no insurance with my doctor as of 10/1/19.  That's the exact date of my next physical. 

This happened to me before where I had to cancel a 10/1 appointment and couldn't get back in for two months after they finally settled with one another.

I'm over it.  I'm over paying for insurance I can't use for one reason or another.  I'm over paying my own medical bills and insurance premiums because I will never reach my deductible amount every year. 

They will cover nothing that's not a wellness visit and now they won't even cover that after 9/30 with a doctor I have had for almost 20 years.  I can't even move the appointment because they won't cover two appointments in one calendar year. 

I am done, done, done with the whole industry.  I am seriously considering now that the tax penalty is gone not picking up insurance for next year and becoming self insured. 

Does anyone else do this?  Anyone do their physicals at an urgent care center or some such animal and just pay upfront?   

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone not carry medical insurance?

I know a few people who pay for catastrophic health insurance only, so if they need heart surgery or break a bone it is covered and pay everything else out of pocket.

Trusted Contributor

Me! I don't go to the doctor since I never get sick which is a plus. I don't really feel a need for wellness visits. I used to go to the Gyno when I was on the pill. For the visit I never paid more than 150 and usually less. If they did a pap the lab cost was maybe 50-75. I think 50 was more like it. Prescription was 50 a month with a walgreens plan. My doctor once said she wasn't going to do some stuff because I didn't need it and I didn't have insurance. So apparently they have no problem doing stuff you DONT need when they can get paid for it. So when you wonder why insurance is so much keep that in mind.

I'd call your doctor's office and see what they will charge for the visit. I mean what is it, 20 minutes? If you do blood work you can probably check with whatever lab and get a cost from them.

During the ACA debate I used to hear all the time that people couldn't go to the doctor because they didn't have insurance. I think that has made people believe that they literally can't go to the doctor. Then you end up with people in the ER with a cold..

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 , I get your frustration re: insurance and a deductible so high that the insurande isn"t of help to you, but, yes, I think you should have insurance if tnere's any way you can swing it.

Yes, for oridanry preventive care, it's probably not necessary. But you never know when something catastrophic might happen...a serious accident or illness that racks up huge medical bills in a short time.  Like tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills.  If you can absorb a $100k medical bill without blinking an eye, go for it. Drop insurance. If tnis would be a hardship, then get some form of insurance. Yes, it's unlikely that something catastrophic will happen, but it can happen. I know because I've been dealing with such an event for the past year.

Good wishes for you and your continued good health.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom   You're my hero!  Do you mind if I ask if you go to a local doctor or a clinic? I'm not sure where the best place would be if I am a cash customer.

I did ask the last time this happened with my doctor and the office said if I came and I was out of network it would be about $700 with labs and pap smears and the doctor visit which I thought was outrageous. 

I'm not doing the womans' stuff anymore because it's always been a waste of time.  I have nothing.  With the mammo, they can see nothing.  And they ran up my medical bills for two years before I said no more of this.  I had to tell them no for diagnostic testing that was completely unnecessary last year too over more nonsense.      

I only really need a physical plus routine labs for cholesterol checks primarily.   I never get sick either so I think I am done paying thousands of dollars for something I take advantage of for one hour tops every year.   You've given me hope!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

For those of you not eligible for Medicare yet, anyone do regular wellness visits and pay as you go?

I came home to a letter that my insurance company and my doctor are fighting with one another again and I will have no insurance with my doctor as of 10/1/19.  That's the exact date of my next physical. 

This happened to me before where I had to cancel a 10/1 appointment and couldn't get back in for two months after they finally settled with one another.

I'm over it.  I'm over paying for insurance I can't use for one reason or another.  I'm over paying my own medical bills and insurance premiums because I will never reach my deductible amount every year. 

They will cover nothing that's not a wellness visit and now they won't even cover that after 9/30 with a doctor I have had for almost 20 years.  I can't even move the appointment because they won't cover two appointments in one calendar year. 

I am done, done, done with the whole industry.  I am seriously considering now that the tax penalty is gone not picking up insurance for next year and becoming self insured. 

Does anyone else do this?  Anyone do their physicals at an urgent care center or some such animal and just pay upfront?   

@Laura14 - ok, so sometimes in life, out of the blue, major health things just happen and what would you do then?  You said that you will never reach your deductible amount every year. You have no way of knowing that. Things happen. 

No way would I go without medical insurance. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@nomless   I am so sorry for what you are going through.  My brother in law and sister are uninsured.  He is a small business owner and no one will sell him or his 20 employees any coverage so they use a Christian ministry bill sharing program and pay cash.  For us single people the cost and coverage is not comparable to what we can do with an employer plan so I've never joined it.  

Just so you are aware, he has a genetic blood clotting disorder and has had accidents too that have racked up thousands of dollars.  If you ever need to, hospitals will take pennies on the dollar and forgive the rest.  He's made an art form out of it.  He will give them $5000 on a $25,000 bill take it or leave it and they take it every time.  Don't be afraid to negotiate with them if you need to.  Most hospitals run very cash poor and they love cash on the barrel or pennies on the dollar.

I hear your really good point loud and clear though.  It is a gamble and with pre-existing conditions being threatened again, it's a real roll of the dice to take.    

Esteemed Contributor

I also pay a premium over 1,000 a month for my healthcare that will only cover 70% after my deductible is met. I haven't been to the Dr just for a check up..

Luckily I've been healthy and hope to stay that way for a year and one month until I get on Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   That $2000 was with insurance.  I actually had the urgent care not bill me at all when my insurance wouldn't cover a penny because of the deductible and the rehab girl didn't bill me for everything she could have because she knew my insurance was non-existent.  Her office girl actually called BCBS to verify that they would not pay a dime and was in awe when they said nope. 

I am essentially a cash customer now with, as you said, maintenance expenses only and an accident that was less than the premiums I paid which is why I am kind of over the racketeering.  At least the mafia gives you a little something for your scratch every month.     

Honored Contributor

Laura, I wouldn't do that. It could absolutely cripple you financially ,if you were in an accident, or  needed emergency surgery.

Urgent care is not the same thing as having a Dr you know and trust. I would never depend on that , if I wasn't forced to

Good luck