Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone here have breast thermography done?

@Laura14 wrote:

I'm one of those who constantly has second mammograms and then ultrasounds, so far, all for nothing.  But after thousands of dollars and the emotional toll alone, I would welcome anything else than what's out there now.  

Obviously the current technology available doesn't work for someone like me and I have seriously considered just skipping it altogether from now on.  Not ideal but I don't think I can take one more year of being scared to death.  

If it works and is safe, I volunteer!

There seems to be various professional associations that you can belong to as a thermographer. I found at least 6 sites here in MI that were not listed on that link.

I also found an interesting article that only 21 states require a mamographer to disclose that you have dense breast tissue and a mamogram may be of limited usefulness in that case. Nice, eh?

I can so relate to you being scared to death by your dr or their staff. I was once misdiagnosed but in the meantime the office staff left horrible messages for me on my vm to run to the next appt! Now! 

Like I'll die before sundown if I'm late for their next appt. I learned so much from that experience. Like not blindly trusting the Big Clinic Money Machine.

There are still really good doctors out there & it took a while for me to find one. I hope you find competent and caring help.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

nightowlz---While I respect your decision not to have mammos, I am one who welcomes that vital tool for detecting it as that is how I found out I had cancer.  I truly hope you never get cancer; I also hope that if you do, it won't be too late to do much because it wasn't detected in time.

And yes, the bottom line is money, in the business end of it---but I believe my team saved my life with their knowlege and technology and yes, caring for me as a person. Whether or not radiation from all the scans they did on me is harmful, I don't know and I'm not really concerned about that. That issue has been debated and never fully resolved. I don't want anyone to NOT get mammos because of the what ifs. It is an important thing for every woman AND their families. You have been very lucky--I hope you pass it along. Cancer with the treatments and surgeries is not easy at a stage 1A---I can't imagine what it would be like at a stage 4 or worse, a terminal stage. IMHO, of course.

My mother had and died from breast cancer in 1976.  Fast forward to 2011, I had a mammogram and then went to GYN office for pap smear.  While there, she did a clinical exam and found a tiny lump very deep and bc my sister and I had been strongly monitored everyone was so sure it had been gotten early.

Please, please don't put off mammos or other exams - I've been STRONGLY followed since I was 18 bc of my mother and when I was diagnosed with cancer (in 2011) every doctor was sure that bc I'd never missed a mammo or exam that it'd been caught early.  Well, that tiny tumor did a heck of a lot of damage and 22 of 25 lymph nodes were positive.  I was staged at IIIc - treatment for such was extremely aggressive - 2 surgeries, 8 chemos administered every other week and 37 radiation treatments and I'm now on meds to prevent a recurrence.  I hit 5 years cancer free in February - all I can say is that I've been told that my tumor was so aggressive that had it not been found when it was - who knows whether I'd even be around today.  

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl, it is scary.  I know someone who went for a mammo and they gave her the all clear right then and there.  As she was getting dressed to leave, she felt a lump.  She didn't say anything to them, thought it might be hormonal because she was on her period. When it was still there after her period was over, she went to her doc. They did an ultrasound and then a biopsy and it was cancer.   I believe it was Stage 1B.  She had it surgically removed and had to have a few radiation treatments.

The following year, her mammo picked up something in the opposite breast.  They sent her for an ultrasound and then wanted to do a biopsy.  Because she had been through so much, her doctor decided rather than a painful biopsy, she sent her for an MRI to get a better look.  The MRI revealed the lump picked up on the mammo and ultrasound was nothing to worry about.  However, the MRI picked up a different spot that was in fact cancer.  She again had it removed and had radiation treatments.

In that instance, I fully believe God was looking out for her.  Had her doctor sent her for the ultrasound as is typical, that other tumor would have grown until she was able to either feel it or it was picked up on a mammo the following year or after.  And who knows by then what the outcome would have been! 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl...I found this old thread and I am thinking that this year I will forgo the mammogram and do the thermograpy.....did you ever have the procedure done?  If so, did you feel confident about it.

After doing a mammogram for so many years (history of breast cancer in family) I am a bit apprehensive about a different procedure.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl...I found this old thread and I am thinking that this year I will forgo the mammogram and do the thermograpy.....did you ever have the procedure done?  If so, did you feel confident about it.

After doing a mammogram for so many years (history of breast cancer in family) I am a bit apprehensive about a different procedure.  Thanks

Mememe- here again.

I was going to get one done while we traveled to an area where there was a imaging center that offered thermo services.

They encouraged me to try to find a location near me and go to that location for each follow-up for the most accurate comparisons.  I thought this was sound advice.  We learned that there was a new imaging center coming to my area so I am looking forward to that.

Honored Contributor

Thanks....I am also concerned about imaging in two different locations.  I have a metal piece...can't think of the medical term...in one breast where there was a lump....and a couple of scars from biopsys....not sure if the thermography will pick those spots up and raise a concern....guess I will ask when I make my appointment.

The location for the thermography is about 45 minutes away.  The medical center in my town does not offer the service, they only do the mammograms. The cost is about $200.00, I will have to pay it out of pocket.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Good luck to you.  Thinking of you.

The center opening near me does 4 images for $175.00 and they recommend a baseline and 2 additional series of 4 spaced 4 months apart.  All private pay.

Respected Contributor

I have been getting Mammo's and Sonogram's since I was 45 (now 60). When I started going for the mammo, I insisted on getting a sonogram at the same time. 5 years later (I was 50) my mammo showed nothing but the sono showed a tumor. A biopsy was taken and it was cancer. I believe, everyone should not only get a mammogram but definitely get a sonogram, each and every time. The insistence of the sonogram when everyone said it wasn't necessary, saved my life. As far as the thermography, I have never had it done. I wish everyone good health! 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.