Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have moderate to bad asthma ?

@Toppers3 

Might I ask if you have ever been investigated for lupus?  How about interstitial lung disease?  How extensive has your investigation into any cardiac problems been?  These are some things that might be at the top of the list.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Toppers3 

Breo is not going to help you right away.  It is not a rescue inhaler.  I have had asthma for several years, many off and on.  It sounds like asthma to me.  Many of us have similar symptoms but if you are in doubt, insist on an EKG and an echo of the heart.  If you are having difficulty breathing, you need a rescue inhaler like ProAir or a nebulizer with albuterol.  Did your doctor offer you anything like that?   solutionDid you have pulmonary function tests and arterial blood gases, or just PFTs?  Did you have any kind of immunoglobulin testing?  Breo is not going to give you relief from difficulty breathing from exercise-induced asthma.  You will need a rescue inhaler.

@Toppers3, might I suggest you go to asthma.net and read there.  It could be some of your questions could be answered there.  I am a frequenter of that.

I took Breo for a long time.  I have taken Anoro, Advair and now I am on Trellegy.  This weather we are having this year is really bad on asthmatics, those who have COPD, reactive airway disease, pulmonary hypertension and other respiratory diseases.  Please don't stop your Breo. It is there for the long haul.  If your doctor did not give you a rescue inhaler or talk to you about that, you might need another doctor.

There is what is called exercise-induced asthma, which sounds like you may be experiencing.  Did you have asthma as a child?  I did, but it went away with my menses.  Then I had a hysterectomy at age 52 and bang! within a week, it was back.

For those of you with triggers such as cleaning products, candles, perfumes, do you take Monteleukast?  And if so, does it help you?  I take the Monteleukast before I am going to be walking a lot, like going to doctor, going to grocery or drugstore.  That might not seem like a lot of exercise to others, but for asthmatics who are in a flare, it's a lot of walking.  Sometimes, I cannot get from the refrigeator to the sink without stopping and that's only about 20 feet.

Thank you so much , a lot of other things to investigate , i have to get more agressive on this , i did get a nebalizer with solution this week , the rescue didn't seem to do much , but am greatful to have them handy. I can't let this go on much longer , but i knew the Breo was not a quick fix , but i hope it isn't doing more damage than good . Thanks again , i waited 7 weeks to see pulmonary doctor . i doubt if i saw him 10 minutes , but i had a list written down that i refered to while he was there. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa 

I wanted you to be able to see this on Asthma.Net if you have not already been there and read it.  This might be the answer to some of your questions about more extensive disease than asthma or disease related as a cause of asthma, perhaps.

from asthma.net:  People who develop asthma in adulthood, rather than as a child, have a very different type of asthma. And now, a recent study shows that people with this adult-onset asthma, also called late-onset, may also have a much higher risk of developing heart problems or having strokes.

• Severity. Adult-onset asthma tends to be more severe and more difficult to control than asthma that begins in childhood. Asthma attacks occur more frequently and lung function declines more quickly.
  • Cause & triggers. Childhood asthma tends to be linked to allergic sensitivity to environmental substances such as pollens, dust mites, animal proteins and molds. There is often a family history of allergy and asthma as well. Adults who get asthma may not have a family history. Their asthma is also not linked to allergens. Instead, triggers are more often things such as air pollution, chemicals in the workplace, cigarette smoking, respiratory infections and high levels of stress,
  • Gender. Before puberty, asthma is more common in boys than girls. But, in adults, it is women who are more likely to have late-onset asthma. Women’s asthma also tends to be more severe than asthma in adult men.

Exercise-induced asthma is another type of asthma and may occur in both childhood and adulthood, but is not directly connected to either late- or early-onset asthma.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa 

Had exercise induced asthma years ago.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@MW in Iowa 

Had exercise induced asthma years ago.

hckynut 

was yours from medications for your heart , or did it come out of no where like mine.