Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have Aetna medicare advantage plan?

Obamacare has absolutely NOTHING to do with premium increases from insurance companies. They are simply using it as an excuse to increase their profits. I would have nailed that rep by making him tell me what is in Obamacare that is causing this necessary premium increase.

Respected Contributor

@151949

One aspect of the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") that has contributed to higher premiums for all insured people is the requirement that even people with preexisting conditions cannot be turned down for coverage.   Their medical expenses--which no doubt are higher than average-- are thus shared by all who are paying into the plan.

Regular Contributor

My husband and I both have Aetna for the past year.  We retired the end of 2014.  We like Aetna and I have called then at least 7  times and I have always talked to someone in the United States who speaks English and I can understand every word.  We are renewing our plan with them again for 2016.

Honored Contributor

@151949  Flip over to HSN right now.  They are having n AETNA presentation:/

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@151949

One aspect of the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") that has contributed to higher premiums for all insured people is the requirement that even people with preexisting conditions cannot be turned down for coverage.   Their medical expenses--which no doubt are higher than average-- are thus shared by all who are paying into the plan.

You are correct

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@151949  Flip over to HSN right now.  They are having n AETNA presentation:/

I saw that - thanks - but we have already met with an agent who reps all but BC/BS and went over various options. In the end we chose to go with United Health Care HMO because they have a passport option that will cover us as we travel and will even allow us to go to our old Pittsburgh doctor when we are there if needed, because he is in network up in Pitts. now. UHC is fairly new to the Pitts. area but they have moved in there with a vengence - their network up there is huge. Smart for them as the BC vs UPMC healthcare fight going on up there is leaving many people out in the cold on getting care where they need it. (in Pitts. both BC and UPMC own almost all the hospitals and neither will accept the other ones ins - so patients are forced to use ONLY their ins co facilities.)

Esteemed Contributor

I have Medicare Plan F with Aetna and am very happy with it.  My premium is $160/mo and I never see a bill. They pay everything left over from Medicare.  When I had my Warner Bros retirement health care I was paying over $200 a month for the premium and after the 80% was paid I always got stuck with the 20%, not anymore.

My problem is that I do not like my AARP United Health Care Plan D.  My prescription costs are way too high and I need to find another plan before the 7th of Dec.  Any suggestions?  I sure would appreciate it if anyone knows of a good plan.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

We looked into a medicare supplement + Rx plan it was $250 /month and it wasn't the plan F we would have wanted. So for two of us that was $500/month. Just completely unreasonable on our income, and NOT the best coverage. That would be a definite outlay of $3000 a year. Our out of pocket limit on our insurance is $5200/year, and is highly doubtful we would have reach that, and we only pay the $104/month from our SS and no premium for our advantage plan, and it is much better coverage than we would have gotten for the $250/month. It just made financial sense to us. 

I'm not saying it is what 's best for everyone but we believe it is best for US.

Honored Contributor

My husband has had the aetna Medicare advantage plan for two years. He doesn't plan on changing and has been happy with it.