Valued Contributor

Does any have a spouse with COPD?

My husband, age 71, was diagnosed several years ago. But after a trip last year out West, which was horrible for him due to altitude, he has gotten much, much worse.

On oxygen most of the day, has a portal unit. Has trouble breathing if he walks a short distance.

I'm never sure if I should encourage him to walk to the mailbox or if that is putting too much strain on his heart.

Would love to chat with others regarding this terrible health issue.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does any have a spouse with COPD?

Went through 16 sessions of Pulmonary Rehab after my 2nd bout with PE. Every one, but myself, was there for COPD, and they all were on oxygen.

Your husband should check with his Pulmonologist and have him set up a stress test if there is concern for his heart. There are stress test done with a Pulmonary Cart and it measures Oxygen intake in Carbon Dioxide expelled.

Most

patients I spoke with in those classes said they avoid high altitude because their lung capacity levels.

I could go on and on about lung/heart issues, but his Pulmonologist would be the one to best be able to start with this issue.

Have your husband make an appoinment if he has cocern for his lung capacity percentages and its effects ln his heart.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My husband was officially diagnosed with COPD several years ago.  At 63, he is dependent on his steroid inhalers, and nebulizer treatments, but his lungs have not weakened to the point of needing in home oxygen, yet.  Any type of physical exertion increases shortness of breath, and that is not going to get better at this point.  Your husband will need to do what he feels comfortable doing, within the range his doctor discusses with him.  My husband continues to do as much as he can around the house, and has the mindset to do so as long as he can; he knows this disease will force him to sit down and stay down someday, but he gets up every morning with the determination today is not that day.   We have seen the progression of COPD with my dad and his mother.  My MIL died from end stage COPD and congestive heart failure.  COPD is a very progressive lung disease, and the goal is to keep the elasticity inside the lungs as strong as possible.  Once that elasticity is gone, the lungs just cannot expand enough to take in the oxygen supply needed to keep them, and all other organs strong enough to do their jobs, so supplemental oxygen is needed to maintain organ function.  You and your husband need direction from his doctor as to his capabilities at this stage of his lung disease.   Best wishes to you both as you cope with this illness.   

Honored Contributor

My father had COPD and congestive heart failure.  He went from an inhaler to full time on an oxygen tank in the course of six years.  The more he was on the oxygen tank, the less he was able to do.  Toward the end, he could only go very short distances.  He basically stayed in one room.  He got to the point that the oxygen tank wasn't enough and was hospitalized his last two months.  It was a long tough battle.  I wish your DH well.