Respected Contributor

Re: Does Your Doctor Do This

You better wear a go pro while your in there....or video taped it with your phone so you have proof that you didn't ask a single question!  Just sit there and act MUTE.  

A few weeks ago I was having a bad reaction to a medication my gyno has me on....I played around with it....taking it one day then not the next and sure enough every time I took it I got a horrible headache!  So I called and told them and they got me into see her the following week to discuss a medication change.  It was weird just sitting there and not get a pelvic exam LOL with all my clothes on!  Anyhoo she comes in and pulls her roller chair up to me in the seat chair and wants me to tell her everything thats been going on.  She changed it all out and told me to call her or email her if I have any issues.  Which I ended up doing 2wks later...so she increased my script.  All set until Nov for my usual annual pelvic/mamogram.  

I saw NO signs telling me about extra charges if I spoke or asked a question.  I will get a bill for that office visit as I have a HSA and only annual check up with gyno is covered.  So I expect that but now they are gonna bill my even MORE money if I ask a question or respond to her questions of me?  

Sorry but this to me sounds like the doctor is doing this....NOT the insurance company...the physician is attempting to get more cash out of the patient that is already paying 200+ for the office visit.

I called this local doctor that a compounding pharmacy recommended to me....and this guy wants 450.00 cash up front for his office visit.  He will give you 45mins of his time I was told...then on second visit after all my labs are back he wants another 250.00....but at least the labs will be covered if I wanted to go there.  Perhaps this is gonna be the new normal!

Here's a idea....book appt's by TIME....tell patient you have a 15mins appt today...doctor can only spend 15mins with you....IF you need more...then we can book that at a upfront charge of blank for a additional 10mins.  

I'll be videoing all my appt's from now on LOL!

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of anything so awful in my life.  The doctor is supposed to be there to address your health concerns, not discourage you from discussing them.  I would not go to an office with these policies.  I don't even understand this policy. What is supposed to happen at the visit?  The doctor doesn't speak to you at all?  Do you need to agree to a script?  That is a bad bad doctor.  I would even go so far as to find a way to shame them on social media or something like that.  I would rate this as totally 100% unacceptable behavior.  I am thankful to have a doctor who is kind and caring and truly DOES go above and beyond each time I see her.  So sorry you had this terrible experience.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Our pharmacist has been giving us advice for years and we trust him...unfortunately, he is having his hours cut gradually and he figures they are trying to squeeze him out since he just turn 64...they are bringing in more “ pharmacy techs” who they pay almost nothing... it it’s a person behind the counter and that is all the owners care about, they don’t care if they are knowledgeable about their job.
Respected Contributor

Get another Dr.  I would also file a complaint with your state medical board.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, the health care industry is nothing like it was even a few years ago....I have been looking for another PCP because mine never took his eyes off his iPad when he was in the exam room with me...no eye contact, ever...just with the VN who did my stats...and she spoke only Vietnamese...two of my other drs I have seen for years retired within the past few months....one has no one taking over his practice, so now I must make a 30 mile trip to a new one....and DH’s PCP has been replaced with a PA. It’s all his insurance will cover now...but he can’t be listed as a PCP
Honored Contributor

It all depends on the coding. If it coded as an office visit...you will be charged for it. I have learned that coding is everything when it comes to drs collecting their money.
Honored Contributor

About 20 years ago we went to a doctor that had signs all around the office about not asking the doctor too many questions, so yes, I know what you mean. At the time we were in a plan in which he was one of the only doctors I could go to. It does sound crazy but it happens. I'm glad I no longer have to go to him.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
It all depends on the coding. If it coded as an office visit...you will be charged for it. I have learned that coding is everything when it comes to drs collecting their money.

You are correct.  They are many different CPT codes for office visits too.  Some are simple 15 minutes, some are intermediate and some are comprehensive.  The insurance company pays a different amount to the doctor based on the code used. There  are  also different codes for new and established patients.

if you schedule a wellness visit, that visit included talking your weight, and going over preventative services you might need, a BP check and a few more items.

if the doctor discusses any issues that are not in the list for that type of visit, the doctor will bill for an office visit based on how much time is spent with you and what is discussed.  They do not bill for each question asked.

if your insurance has a copay for Office visits, you would,own that in addition to any other services that were provided.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@cuddlesmama Ridicuous, is all I can say, but I am guessing if the office blocked enough time for just a phsysical, that is all the time you get, anything over that is billed.

I do know that if you are going in for a Medicare Wellness check, you will be billed for the full amount if you discuss anything medical with the doctor.  They cannot discuss blood work, treatments, etc.....for the price of the wellness check.

That seems very odd.  I have Kaiser as well as Medicare and when I go in, they discuss it all - blood work, any questions I have, whatever.  I am not charged a co pay.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

I don't see any benefit really from a medicare "wellness" visit.

It is not a physical, just getting history and giving information about all the tests etc you should have at each age.

You might as well just schedule a physical if you want one. They ask you all those history/med questions with the nurse before you even see the doctor.

I don't even go for the physical, just when something is wrong. The dr ends up talking about other things you should do and asks questions there anyway

I've never heard of this practice of extra charge for questions that are asked of the doctor. I would get another doctor if that  ever happened.

I agree with you.  A Medicare Wellness visit is a waste of time, it's a good thing there is no charge for it.  It's only a visit to get your medical history and set up a plan for preventative services and update that info yearly.

Medicare does not cover routine physical exams, so if you have Medicare, you better ask questions during the visit making it a " sick visit" or you will get charged for the total cost of the physical.

As I said earlier, I have Kaiser too, so I guess that's why I can ask questions.  But if Medicare charges for every question and we go to Medicare for all and lose our other insurance, it sounds like this will not be the good deal we're being sold.