Respected Contributor

Re: Does Your Doctor Do This

Not sure if this practice is happening in certain regional areas of the country or throughout the county.  I live in NJ and I haven't experienced anything like this, at least, not yet!   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

This is the ME world now.  And the relaxed world now.  Years to come, when we pass, think we'll be kicked to the curb so to speak and literally.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama   I'm confused - what kind of questions, typical questions/concerns about your health? Everyday things we talk over with our Drs?

Why would they charge for each question? I'm confused? Seems like total ridiculousness.

Respected Contributor

I use my primary doctor when I go for my yearly pap. I always get blood work done before I see her so if anything is wrong we can discuss it while I'm there. I have no co-pay for the visit as long as it's just for the pap and to go over the blood work. If I start asking about any other issue while I'm there, I'm charged the usual $30 co-pay. 

A few years back, my DH went in for his yearly physical, which also has no co-pay. A few weeks later he received a bill for the co-pay so he called the doctor's office to find out why he was charged. He was told the reason for his visit was for "suspicious mole". Even though he was only there for his physical, the doctor thought he should have the mole looked at and the visit now carried a co-pay. 

I've called our insurance to question this practice and was told it's becoming more and more common.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thanked my doc for her handling of a maintenance prescription dose (after she asked me if I were still taking it), and got an office visit bill (according to the office, we had "discussed" my condition).

I called my ins co and eventually dropped it and paid, but I let them know I was unhappy.  I'm going for my annual next week and I am tempted to let them know, up front, that I will only shake my head yes or no.

I like my physician, and the office is only 1 mile away, but she just opened a new facility and I feel like I have been gouged to pay for it.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely not!  This seems not only unfair, but unethical!

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of this,BUT i have heard that if you ask a pharmacist a health related question you may SOON be billed. There is chatter in the health industry about this. My Mom woulds always ask the "druggist" (as she called him) about many health issues.

Honored Contributor

I’m scheduled for my Medicare Wellness visit this fall.  I suppose if I ask my doctor if he charges for questions, I’ll be billed!😳

Respected Contributor

The last time (like 3 weeks ago) we had a plumber he seemed more than happy to sit at the kitchen and advise us as to the different types of bath tubs we might choose, price etc.

Then I got the bill...was charged for additional advice! He came to repair a washer in that tub which my husband was having trouble getting the faucet off of. He said the whole unit is getting old and need replacing.

Monday, I went to my PCP to request a measles immunity test and he asked me about my blood pressure medicine (recalled due to contamination) and then we talked about my cholesterol medicine. No additional charge. Office visit.

Go figure!

Trusted Contributor

Yes!  I was charged for asking a question during the wellness visit!  I challenged it to no avail.  The nurse said their is a sign posted in the office. I may cancel this years wellness visit. The charge was around $20.