Honored Contributor

Re: Does The Cold Bother Your Knee Replacement?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 It always bothered my father, he was never to work in the garage when it was cold, even with his little space heater cranked up.

Respected Contributor

YES !   it was 14 degrees here this morning, my Rt knee replacement from 9/30/19  has been aching down to my toes since last night. My knee seems more stiff today. I didn't go to church this morning for fear I might slip and fall on ice so I watched the service online. Went to lunch w/my BF about 12:30 after it warmed up a bit (20 degrees) and I knew he would be there to keep me from slipping on ice (and there were some ice patches out there) my knee was very stiff, it was difficult to get up from the restaurant seat and getting in and out of the car. My left knee does not hurt at all from the total knee done in 2015 ! 

Respected Contributor

Two knee replacements, two hip replacements. . .zero problems with the cold (and it does get cold in Michigan!)

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2

The last 2 days it has been single digit temps here with wind chills down to -17°. My wife has not said anything about the frigid weather causing her more pain in her right knee.  She had been out and about in this very cold weather and hasn't mentioned anything to me.

Cold blood running through the body, like in the early morning when waking, makes muscles and their connective tissues harder to extend and contract. Cold weather slows this process and can also effect the joints, especially those that are arthritic. The more movement, the faster the blood temperature increases, thus movement becomes easier.

I deal with several issues of my body that have osteoarthritis, with my fingers causing me the most discomfort, year round.  Fingers are from my job/back surgeries from job and choice of sports/neck from sports injury, and shoulder from bursitis and torn rotator cuff.

Might ask your surgeon about this next visit.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  I saw him last week, of course it was during a warm spell.  It was near 50 degrees.I will mention it at my next appt.

He said everything looked good.  They had taken 4 x-rays at my 1st post op appt.

I guess having all sorts of weird pains are normal for awhile.  Now I have a pain from my hip down the outside of my leg to my ankle. It was just on the outside of my knee.

I told Dr. about pain on outside of knee and he said a lot of people complain about it.  Whole length of leg just started. Yeah!

I should buy stock in Tylenol and Ibuprofin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I talked with my wife early this morning about this as she was getting ready to leave for a 2-day Pet Sitting job. She told me, that actually, her bone on bone left knee was bothering her more during this cold stretch(still a -15° wind chill) than her replaced knee. Go figure!

Not dealing with this personally, I can only hope your level of pain or discomfort abates soon. Her surgeon told us pre-surgery that for many patients it can take maybe a year before their new knee is no longer something they even think about. I hope sooner for both you and my wife.

Thanks for your response. Just for your "stock" comment, my issues allow me only Tylenol, because of my oft bleeding colon. Don't want to get those blood transfusions started again, already have had 130+, that's enough!

Take care,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Yes my new knees are not happy when it gets this cold, temperatures in the 20's ugh.  They get stiff and a bit achy, mostly  after getting up in the morning.  As the day progresses the stiffness abates quite a bit.  

Honored Contributor

I have a radial head implant in 2003.  While I was having physical therapy after the operation ... therapist "warned" me that cold/damp and/or hot/humid might cause pain/discomfort.

There's never been a lot of discomfort - just occasional ache.  Tylenol takes care of it.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

Yes my new knees are not happy when it gets this cold, temperatures in the 20's ugh.  They get stiff and a bit achy, mostly  after getting up in the morning.  As the day progresses the stiffness abates quite a bit.  

Movement raised blood temperature which helps almost every joint in the human body, original or replaced. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Had both of my knees replace almost 10 years ago and no problem with pain when it gets cold.  For those that haven't had their surgery a year out I can remember it took about a year before my knees really felt healed.  it does get better. No stiffness in the morning or later.  The only downside of the surgery is having to take antibiotics before certain procedures.